embarrassing situation; predicament; location; position (i.e. of a ship or individual)
fix
memo
release
brochure

meaning of the sentence part

Use of the definite article with the name of bridges | Conditional
meaning of the sentence part #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 25, 2017 15:25 pm   meaning of the sentence part

Please could you explain the meaning of the extract ‘would surge down through a cut in the chalk towards Birmingham’ from the following sentence?

But at the south-western tip, south of Beacon Hill, where one day a motorway torrent of cars and trucks would surge down through a cut in the chalk towards Birmingham, the land was more or less unchanged.
_________________
'How many languages you know - that many times you are a person'
Irene29

meaning of the sentence part #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2017 16:25 pm   meaning of the sentence part

In that part of England, the land beneath the surface soil is made up of a type of rock called chalk. Here a cut, or large channel has been cut in the land, down through the chalk, to allow the road to ascend the hill without being as steep. The cars are traveling down that road towards the city of Birmingham. Here a photo is worth a thousand words.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-m3-motorway-traffic-cuts-through-the-countryside-at-twyford-down-near-1816197.html

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of the sentence part #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2017 21:44 pm   meaning of the sentence part

Great! Thanks a lot for the visual explanation!
_________________
Irene29

the reason for "the" in "the east"origin of the term "wakeboard"Is it ok to call a gun withering?Flair vs FlarePlease check the sentences. right or wrong?Meaning of the sentencecoupon bustera special group of teacher-friendswelcome alongThought groups question - Nov 22, 2017Thought groups question - Nov 22, 2017Are these sentences natural to a native ear? Nov 22, 2017kicked started