to open; to free from restraints; to release
reimburse
list
unlock
concrete

coupon buster

a special group of teacher-friends | Please check the sentences. right or wrong?
coupon buster #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 27, 2017 13:39 pm   coupon buster

“Gunners had grabbed a winner in stoppage time against the Clarets. ‘It is a coupon buster,’ said… ‘I don't think anyone would put a bet on that.’”

As I failed to find any definition of ‘coupon buster’, I can only try and interpret it by looking up both words separately: “a thing that stops or gets rid of a specified thing” + “a detachable portion of a certificate entitling the holder to something as a gift or discount, … a contest entry form”’ which makes it sound like an eliminator of your hopes to get sth valuable.
Any chance?
Eugene2114

coupon buster #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:43 am   coupon buster

I think "contest entry form" is the closest definition of coupon for this case. A football betting coupon is where you try to predict the results of multiple football games - 10 or 12 games. You buy and fill out a coupon, the entry form, usually online these days. And if you predict the winner or the score or other variables (each coupon is different) for all the games correctly you win a big money prize. So evidently this was an unexpected win, so for the many people who failed to predict it, this busted, or ruined their coupons.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
coupon buster #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:36 am   coupon buster

Aha, something you can hardly bet on. Like Angelina Jolie seeing my photo and falling in love (long odds.) ;-)
Eugene2114

global banking and finance reviewcar number vs. number plate?the reason for "the" in "the east"origin of the term "wakeboard"Is it ok to call a gun withering?Flair vs FlareMeaning of the sentenceConditionalmeaning of the sentence partUse of the definite article with the name of bridges...order that the court is/be to do...welcome alongThought groups question - Nov 22, 2017