Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to open; to free from restraints; to release
reimburse
list
unlock
concrete
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

coupon buster

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
a special group of teacher-friends | Please check the sentences. right or wrong?
listening exercises
coupon buster #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 27, 2017 13:39 pm   coupon buster

Hi,
“Gunners had grabbed a winner in stoppage time against the Clarets. ‘It is a coupon buster,’ said… ‘I don't think anyone would put a bet on that.’”

As I failed to find any definition of ‘coupon buster’, I can only try and interpret it by looking up both words separately: “a thing that stops or gets rid of a specified thing” + “a detachable portion of a certificate entitling the holder to something as a gift or discount, … a contest entry form”’ which makes it sound like an eliminator of your hopes to get sth valuable.
Any chance?
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

coupon buster #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:43 am   coupon buster

I think "contest entry form" is the closest definition of coupon for this case. A football betting coupon is where you try to predict the results of multiple football games - 10 or 12 games. You buy and fill out a coupon, the entry form, usually online these days. And if you predict the winner or the score or other variables (each coupon is different) for all the games correctly you win a big money prize. So evidently this was an unexpected win, so for the many people who failed to predict it, this busted, or ruined their coupons.
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
coupon buster #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:36 am   coupon buster

Aha, something you can hardly bet on. Like Angelina Jolie seeing my photo and falling in love (long odds.) ;-)
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

a special group of teacher-friends | Please check the sentences. right or wrong?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
global banking and finance reviewcar number vs. number plate?the reason for "the" in "the east"origin of the term "wakeboard"Is it ok to call a gun withering?Flair vs FlareMeaning of the sentenceConditionalmeaning of the sentence partUse of the definite article with the name of bridges...order that the court is/be to do...welcome alongThought groups question - Nov 22, 2017