profitable; yielding monetary rewards; gainful
present
staple
set
lucrative

Is it ok to call a gun withering?

Flair vs Flare | origin of the term "wakeboard"
Is it ok to call a gun withering? #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2017 19:27 pm   Is it ok to call a gun withering?

At first the workers were apprehensive about the situation, but they felt reassured when there was no command to disperse. Then suddenly they heard the hoarse shout of a staccato military command. Immediately the Tsar's troops opened direct fire on the crowd. The withering volley leveled the front ranks to the ground while the remaining marchers trampled one another as they fled in terror trying to escape.

I'm 99% sure he's talking about a volley gun, but why is this expression ok?

to wither:
to affect harmfully:
"Reputations were withered by the scandal."

Can we say that a ''a withering scandal marred many reputations"? Just googled it and found "Why is Donald Trump launching a withering attack on nonprofits?". I've never seen it this way before, is it too formal? I though withering is only for flowers and when something is withering it collapses like "Germany's withering stability is just a local issue" or "Withering Humanities Jobs" or "Scouting Report: Colts' Defense Withering Away"
BenDover23

Is it ok to call a gun withering? #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2017 20:53 pm   Is it ok to call a gun withering?

For me 'withering' is often used to describe the way someone looks at you to suggest they want to show complete contempt for you. A synonym could be 'scornful'.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Is it ok to call a gun withering? #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 29, 2017 0:22 am   Is it ok to call a gun withering?

I'd say - here:

withering - devastating
volley - (a) shower of bullets (i.e. a lot of bullets fired at the same time)
_________________
If you're going through hell... keep going.
Cristina.ro

are to repairsaving gracehair growth vs. growth of hairglobal banking and finance reviewcar number vs. number plate?successthe reason for "the" in "the east"Please check the sentences. right or wrong?Meaning of the sentencecoupon busterConditionala special group of teacher-friendsmeaning of the sentence part