Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

news story publicized in only a newspaper or television/radio station
simulation
exclusive
clause
production
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

origin of the term "wakeboard"

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Is it ok to call a gun withering? | the reason for "the" in "the east"
listening exercises
origin of the term "wakeboard" #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:30 pm   origin of the term "wakeboard"

Hi, I've read on a German site that the term 'wakeboard' has originated from the word 'wake' meanining 'the wave pattern created by a surfer. Is that correct?

TOEIC listening, talks: Reporting on a company's stock price movements
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

origin of the term "wakeboard" #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2017 15:50 pm   origin of the term "wakeboard"

Almost - it does originate from "wake", but that is the wave pattern created by a boat. The person riding the wakeboard uses the wake of the boat pulling him to do jumps, flips and other tricks. A special boat is used to generate as big a wake as possible, so that the bigger waves can be used to jump higher in the air.

I suppose the wakeboard would generate its own wake as well, but this would be very small and insignificant.
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
origin of the term "wakeboard" #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2017 18:03 pm   origin of the term "wakeboard"

Thanks a lot for this explanation, TJ. I read the Wikipedia entry on 'wakeboard' and didn't find what I was looking for.

TOEIC listening, talks: Safety regulations in a nature park
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Is it ok to call a gun withering? | the reason for "the" in "the east"
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
are to repairAre the following sentences natural to a native ear? 2017 Nov 04saving gracehair growth vs. growth of hairglobal banking and finance reviewcar number vs. number plate?successFlair vs FlarePlease check the sentences. right or wrong?Meaning of the sentencecoupon busterConditionala special group of teacher-friends