Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

comprehensive; complete; finished
independent
minute
thorough
outdoor
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

car number vs. number plate?

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
...order that the court is/be to do... | global banking and finance review
listening exercises
car number vs. number plate? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:43 am   car number vs. number plate?

Hi, in an LCCI exam paper I came across the term 'car number'. So, is 'car number' the British version of the American 'number plate' or are both terms used in both countries? Many thanks

TOEIC listening, talks: A baseball player talks about his career prospects
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

car number vs. number plate? #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2017 16:10 pm   car number vs. number plate?

Hi Torsten,

I would certainly say you needed 'car number plate' because 'car number' could simply mean the number written on a car taking part for example in a race.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
car number vs. number plate? #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2017 18:30 pm   car number vs. number plate?

Hi Alan, I did find the term strange but it does occur twice in a past LCCI exam. Maybe, it refers to an internal number system maintained by a company?

TOEIC listening, talks: Business executives discuss their company's online advertising revenues
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

car number vs. number plate? #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2017 20:17 pm   car number vs. number plate?

In the U.S. it is only called "license plate". I cannot think of any other term that is used here.
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

...order that the court is/be to do... | global banking and finance review
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
are to repairAre the following sentences natural to a native ear? 2017 Nov 04saving gracehair growth vs. growth of hairsuccessthe reason for "the" in "the east"origin of the term "wakeboard"Is it ok to call a gun withering?Flair vs FlarePlease check the sentences. right or wrong?Meaning of the sentencecoupon bustera special group of teacher-friends