affiliate; office; industry; trade; business unit
branch
conference
banquet
collectible

saving grace

success | hair growth vs. growth of hair
saving grace #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:18 pm   saving grace

Some lenghty excerpt to make you sense it:
“Now, there was a time a few weeks back when Manchester City were blitzing all in front of them, scoring goals for fun and racking you up unlimited fantasy football points - unless, like me, you ditched Leroy Sane after he started the first game of the season on the bench. The rest of the Premier League's only saving grace was that surely once Pep Guardiola's side had to tough it out, they'd come unstuck.”

Again, I was feeling uncomfortable about some phrase-- the ‘saving grace’-- there. I can’t see anything justifying its usage in the context: “…only hope\secret wish” is what I would think of (meaning City coming unstuck would save the blushes of the rest.) (?)
Eugene2114

saving grace #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2017 13:28 pm   saving grace

I’d think of ‘silver lining’ as a substitute too…
Eugene2114

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
saving grace #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2017 22:26 pm   saving grace

I don't think "saving grace" means only hope for secret wish here. It means one good thing that keeps something from being completely bad. The only thing good about the rest of the Premier League is that eventually Pep Guardiola's team will fall apart.

Silver lining is a little different. It means a bad thing that actually has one good aspect.

Let's say you go on a beach trip and it rains the whole time. A saving grace would be if it stopped raining and was sunny the last day so you could get a tan. A silver lining would be if it rained the whole time, but at least you got a lot of reading done sitting on the porch.

saving grace #4 (permalink) Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 pm   saving grace

Luschen wrote:
"saving grace" means ... one good thing that keeps something from being completely bad.
Silver lining ... means a bad thing that actually has one good aspect.

.....

Hmm… Reading closely Luschen’s examples and looking up both definitions didn’t clear the waters, sorry.
A saving grace—“ compensating feature”; “something positive in an otherwise bad situation.”; “a quality that makes up for other generally negative characteristics”.
A silver lining—“ a consoling or hopeful prospect”; “something that offers hope or benefit in a situation that is generally adverse”; “ a sign of hope in an unfortunate or gloomy situation”.
Looks like “compensating feature” or “a quality that makes up for other generally negative characteristics” don’t fit in the context as good as “something that offers hope or benefit”;“a sign of hope”. Man City’s prospective slip up there, is closer to hope than compensating feature for me.
(Too close to make a distinction to be honest.)
Eugene2114

saving grace #5 (permalink) Tue Dec 05, 2017 18:40 pm   saving grace

Hi Eugene, yes, I admit looking at the official definitions, I guess I am wrong in seeing that there is a clear distinction between silver lining and saving grace.

are to repairAre the following sentences natural to a native ear? 2017 Nov 04global banking and finance reviewcar number vs. number plate?the reason for "the" in "the east"origin of the term "wakeboard"Is it ok to call a gun withering?Flair vs FlareMeaning of the sentence...order that the court is/be to do...attempt to do/doingHard come to come by?Scam and Spam - What is the difference?