intelligence; ability to think in a clever manner
shrewdness
visitor
dealer
detail

Expression: "for the sake of"

Change versus shift | Meaning of "to lay an egg"
Expression: "for the sake of" #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2006 19:37 pm   Expression: "for the sake of"

English Idioms and Expressions, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #4 "For Good", question 9

They decided to move away from the city to the countryside for the sake of the children.

(a) speaking about
(b) talking about
(c) dreaming about
(d) thinking about

ESL/EFL Test #4 "For Good", answer 9

They decided to move away from the city to the countryside thinking about the children.

Correct answer: (d) thinking about
_________________________

Meaning of Expression: "for the sake of"

Leon
Leon

Expression: "for the sake of" #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 15, 2006 19:39 pm   Expression: "for the sake of"

For the sake of here suggests in the interests of the children. In other words they thought it was best to move to the countryside for the benefit of their children.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Comma after "late": She's always late, isn't she?It happened yesterday didn't it?Shall vs. shouldIdiom: "to call it a day"Idiom: to see eye to eyeIdiom: I've now lost the threadMeaning of incidentallyMeaning of "stick out his neck"Meaning of "portfolio" in this contextThose vs. theseIdiom: 'to mind your own business'Expression 'hit the nail on the head'Become weaker vs. lose standards