being one fourth; having four equal parts
quarter
intense
direct
token

Meaning of "portfolio" in this context

Meaning of incidentally | Meaning of "stick out his neck"
Meaning of "portfolio" in this context #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:31 am   Meaning of "portfolio" in this context

ESL/EFL Test #20 "Money Matters (3)", question 5

The best way to develop an income for the future is to invest in a series of companies and in that way to build up a ..........

(a) suitcase
(b) portfolio
(c) folder
(d) briefcase

ESL/EFL Test #20 "Money Matters (3)", answer 5

The best way to develop an income for the future is to invest in a series of companies and in that way to build up a portfolio.

Correct answer: (b) portfolio

The best way to develop an income for the future is to invest in a series of companies and in that way to build up a suitcase.
_________________________

Dear Sir/Madam,

Could you please explain about the meaning of "portfolio" in this context? Thanks.

Regards
Colombina
Colombina

Meaning of "portfolio" in this context #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:55 am   Meaning of "portfolio" in this context

.
Portfolio = the sum of the financial assets held by an individual or a bank or other financial institution.
.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Idiom: 'let your hair down'Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"?The auxiliary verb "have" and the past (-ed) participleComma after "late": She's always late, isn't she?It happened yesterday didn't it?Shall vs. shouldIdiom: "to call it a day"Idiom: to see eye to eyeIdiom: I've now lost the threadExpression: "for the sake of"Those vs. theseMeaning of "to lay an egg"Idiom: 'to mind your own business'