intelligent; clever; shrewd; lively; fashionable; stylish
excellent
initialed
smart
detailed

Idiom: I've now lost the thread

Meaning of "stick out his neck" | Idiom: to see eye to eye
Idiom: I've now lost the thread #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:32 am   Idiom: I've now lost the thread

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #11 "Losing It", question 9

I've tried very hard indeed to understand your argument step by step but I must confess I've now lost the thread.

(a) I now can't follow the answer
(b) I now can't follow the point
(c) I now can't follow the reason
(d) I now can't follow the reasoning

ESL/EFL Test #11 "Losing It", answer 9

I've tried very hard indeed to understand your argument step by step but I must confess I now can't follow the reasoning.

Correct answer: (d) I now can't follow the reasoning

I've tried very hard indeed to understand your argument step by step but I must confess I now can't follow the point.
_________________________

I must confess too I now can't follow the reason why b) is incorrect or not the best.

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Idiom: I've now lost the thread #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:26 am   Idiom: I've now lost the thread

The idea of 'lose the thread' suggests that you are not following the way an argument is proceeding. We use thread on these forums, as you know, which refers to a series of contributions one after the other or they form part of a process, The word 'point' would not cover this as it involves only one matter but reasoning is appropriate as it describes a process.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: I've now lost the thread #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:09 pm   Idiom: I've now lost the thread

Thanks again, sir, and I am convinced and satisfied.

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

The usual adverb (noun) for 'the night of the present day'Idiom: 'let your hair down'Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"?The auxiliary verb "have" and the past (-ed) participleComma after "late": She's always late, isn't she?It happened yesterday didn't it?Shall vs. shouldIdiom: "to call it a day"Meaning of incidentallyMeaning of "portfolio" in this contextExpression: "for the sake of"Those vs. theseMeaning of "to lay an egg"