Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

building; something created from a number of interconnecting parts
number
uniqueness
structure
veracity
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
The auxiliary verb "have" and the past (-ed) participle | Idiom: 'let your hair down'
listening exercises
Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"? #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:53 am   Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"?

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #184 "Efficient Capital Markets", question 7

Future cash flows are discounted by an interest rate that is a ......... of the riskiness of those cash flows; the riskier the cash flows, the higher is the rate used.

(a) compensation
(b) function
(c) reaction
(d) reversal

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #184 "Efficient Capital Markets", answer 7

Future cash flows are discounted by an interest rate that is a function of the riskiness of those cash flows; the riskier the cash flows, the higher is the rate used.

Correct answer: (b) function

Your answer was: incorrect
Future cash flows are discounted by an interest rate that is a reaction of the riskiness of those cash flows; the riskier the cash flows, the higher is the rate used.

Hi,

Don't know why "reaction" isn't suitable here, by the way, what's "structural value"?

Thanks!
F.F
FangFang
I'm here quite often ;-)

Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"? #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:47 am   Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"?

It would, if possible, read 'reaction to', FangFang-- but anyway, I don't think that interest rates normally 'react'; they are simply percentages determined by the people who do react to perceived riskiness. They might 'reflect', but that is not an option here.

'Structural value' means nothing at all, as far as I know, sorry-- the word 'structural' just seemed to me to be a good distractor among these answers.

MM

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
The auxiliary verb "have" and the past (-ed) participle | Idiom: 'let your hair down'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of headwayReliable vs. patientMeaning of "Make up"Idiom: 'to push your luck'Business class vs. business parkThe usual adverb (noun) for 'the night of the present day'Comma after "late": She's always late, isn't she?It happened yesterday didn't it?Shall vs. shouldIdiom: "to call it a day"Idiom: to see eye to eyeIdiom: lose your headIdiom: I've now lost the thread