Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

occurring every three months; taking place four times a year
capable
correct
conservative
quarterly
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: 'let your hair down'

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"? | By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth
listening exercises
Idiom: 'let your hair down' #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:00 am   Idiom: 'let your hair down'

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Splitting Hairs", question 3

Now that he's passed his exams and got his qualifications he's decided to let his hair down.

(a) behave informally
(b) behave noisily
(c) behave easily
(d) behave fully

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Splitting Hairs", answer 3

Now that he's passed his exams and got his qualifications he's decided to behave informally.

Correct answer: (a) behave informally

Your answer was: incorrect
Now that he's passed his exams and got his qualifications he's decided to behave easily.

Hi Alan,

Could you explain the reason why behave easily was not possible in this sentence for a certain situation?

Thank you.
haihao
.haihao

Idiom: 'let your hair down' #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:03 am   Idiom: 'let your hair down'

I am terribly sorry again that I forgot to log in first. haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Behave #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:36 am   Behave

Hi,

'Behave easily' doesn't really make sense. Easily as an adverb conveys the sense of doing something without any difficulty as in: She easily completed the race in five miutes. Here 'let your hair down' describes what you do when you are not worrying about what people think and in a sense you relax.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"? | By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Difference between 'target costing' and 'standard costing'Meaning of headwayReliable vs. patientMeaning of "Make up"Idiom: 'to push your luck'Business class vs. business parkThe usual adverb (noun) for 'the night of the present day'The auxiliary verb "have" and the past (-ed) participleComma after "late": She's always late, isn't she?It happened yesterday didn't it?Shall vs. shouldIdiom: "to call it a day"Idiom: to see eye to eye