display; layout; clothing; menu
sound
attention
array
improvement

Idiom: 'to push your luck'

The usual adverb (noun) for 'the night of the present day' | Reliable vs. patient
Idiom: 'to push your luck' #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:30 am   Idiom: 'to push your luck'

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Lucky You", question 3

If I were you I would certainly accept the offer. If you ask for any more you're just ......... your luck.

(a) pushing
(b) probing
(c) promoting
(d) pending

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Lucky You", answer 3

If I were you I would certainly accept the offer. If you ask for any more you're just pushing your luck.

Correct answer: (a) pushing

If I were you I would certainly accept the offer. If you ask for any more you're just pending your luck.
_________________________

Shouldn't we put the word 'away' after 'luck'... so it would be ..."If you ask for any more you're just pushing your luck away."?

Aiskilus
Aiskilusi

Push #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:39 am   Push

The set expression is push your luck or press your luck and it has the sense of, in a way, putting too much pressure on your good fortune and expecting to be lucky beyond what is reasonable.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Would it be allright if the 'whatever the times' were 'at any time'?Why we have to use "which" in this sentence?Difference between 'target costing' and 'standard costing'Meaning of headwayMeaning of "Make up"Business class vs. business parkIdiom: 'let your hair down'Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"?The auxiliary verb "have" and the past (-ed) participleComma after "late": She's always late, isn't she?It happened yesterday didn't it?Shall vs. shouldIdiom: "to call it a day"