sewing needle; swindler; cheater; professional gambler
sharp
conveyance
investment
transfer

Meaning of "Make up"

Idiom: lose your head | Meaning of "from the word go"
Meaning of "Make up" #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:35 pm   Meaning of "Make up"

ESL/EFL Test #41 "Good Bye", question 8

Well, I won't ......... up any more excuses. I wasn't here yesterday because I went to a football match.

(a) make
(b) move
(c) do
(d) look

ESL/EFL Test #41 "Good Bye", answer 8

Well, I won't make up any more excuses. I wasn't here yesterday because I went to a football match.

Correct answer: (a) make
_________________________

why?

Salman
Salman

Make up excuses #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2006 13:11 pm   Make up excuses

'Make up' here has the sense of 'to invent'. Another similar expression is 'to think up an excuse'. We make up excuses when we don't want to say the reason for doing or not doing something.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "Make up" #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:45 am   Meaning of "Make up"

Hi, Salman:

In addition to what Conchita said, "make up" has other meanings. In the on-line test, it means to invent or create. It can also mean the following (depending on the context, so always be on the lookout for it):

- to compensate for a loss (ever heard of 'make-up classes,' or 'make up for lost time'?)
- to reconcile after a conflict ('Bill and Jill made up after having a fight the other day')
- to arrange or fix ('They made up the bed before having breakfast')

If ever you run into the expression, "make up your mind," it means to decide on something. HTH. :D
Ron1970

Location: Manila, Philippines

Would it be allright if the 'whatever the times' were 'at any time'?Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?Idiom: As thick as two short planksWhy not the "start of something bad"?Why we have to use "which" in this sentence?Difference between 'target costing' and 'standard costing'Meaning of headwayReliable vs. patientIdiom: 'to push your luck'Business class vs. business parkThe usual adverb (noun) for 'the night of the present day'Idiom: 'let your hair down'Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"?