to perform; to present; to carry out; to execute
devise
corrupt
suspend
stage

Reliable vs. patient

Idiom: 'to push your luck' | Idiom: lose your head
Reliable vs. patient #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2006 18:09 pm   Reliable vs. patient

ESL/EFL Test #152 "How to describe people: attitude expressions", question 2

Students at the school where I teach are so .......... They always hand in their homework on time.

(a) patient
(b) lazy
(c) reliable
(d) friendly

ESL/EFL Test #152 "How to describe people: attitude expressions", answer 2

Students at the school where I teach are so reliable. They always hand in their homework on time.

Correct answer: (c) reliable
_________________________

Why not patient?

Kirilli
Kirilli

Reliable vs. patient #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2006 19:43 pm   Reliable vs. patient

Patient suggests you are willing to wait without complaining. The idea here in the test sentence is that you can be sure that the students will hand their work in on time - they can be trusted to do that - you can rely on that.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Would it be allright if the 'whatever the times' were 'at any time'?Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?Why we have to use "which" in this sentence?Difference between 'target costing' and 'standard costing'Meaning of headwayMeaning of "Make up"Business class vs. business parkThe usual adverb (noun) for 'the night of the present day'Idiom: 'let your hair down'Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"?The auxiliary verb "have" and the past (-ed) participleComma after "late": She's always late, isn't she?It happened yesterday didn't it?