display; layout; clothing; menu
sound
attention
array
improvement

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

I must be getting old | How do you study new vocabulary?
Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2006 20:40 pm   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

Hello!
How I can improve my vocabulary and have fun too :-) I find this very boring. Any ideas?

One thing I do is reading my horoscope everyday in English. I use this, they send me my horoscope everyday:
http://nicehoroscope.com

there are jokes too
thank you :D
Ed22

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 0:14 am   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

.
The prime method for increasing vocabulary is reading. If you don't have fun reading, then you will not have much fun learning a language.
.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:47 am   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

How about learning the meanings and origins of ten new words a day. Then wait for occasions when other people misuse the words you have learned... Then, you can pounce upon them and point out their mistake in an obnoxiously loud and derisive manner to the amusement of by-standers... It works for me :)

Just kidding of course.... Mister Micawber has the best advice. Find a subject or pastime you enjoy and begin reading as much about it as you can find.
Pond969

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:47 am   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

Hi all,

I also have been tought/told to read as much as possible to improve my vocabulary. And it really helps me a lot but I still have some problem, that is, I encounter so many big/difficult words.

My question is what is the best/good way to deal with big words while reading and afterwards?

Thanks in advance

Jupiter
Jupiter

Location: Cambodia

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:40 am   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

A dictionary perhaps?
Pond969

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:56 am   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

For me, I encourage my students to practice or apply the words they learn, not merely memorize it.

My point is, the more you practice it, it will become natural for you to say or use it.

In addition, playing word games (Scrabble, Boggle, Bookworm, etc.) is a way to gauge your knowledge of words. The higher your score implies you know a lot. I can attest to that. :D

And I also agree with Mr. Micawber, there is no substitute for reading a lot. The more you read (or listen), the more words you will learn.
Ron1970

Location: Manila, Philippines

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #7 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:14 am   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

Many thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts on this interesting and important question. I agree with everything that you have said so far and would like to add some ideas. Many people think that if they want to learn a language they have to learn vocabulary and grammar. In a way, this is true but there is common misconception about the importance of grammar and vocabulary.

In my opinion you shouldn't learn grammar and vocabulary separately but regard language as system. As a matter of fact, the best way of learning English is not to concentrate on the langauge itselft but find an interesting subject and read/talk/hear/write about it in English. That's what Mister Micawber suggested a couple of posts earlier. English shouldn't be the purpose but rather a means to achieve your purpose. For example, if your objective is to become an architect then you should learn as much about this profession as possible and you should 'consume' the information in English.

You will only learn if you are interested in the subject so if you fell you are getting bored, change the subject!

TOEIC listening, photographs: A rural scene

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #8 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 16:45 pm   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

Try playing a game like Taboo or some other game in which you must use words
(other than the key words or object words) to describe something.

You are typically unable to use the words you'd most likely use to describe the thing... which means you will either become creative in describing the thing, or your partner will not be able to guess what that thing is.
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #9 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 16:50 pm   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

Now, it's highly, highly (italicized) unlikely that you'd observe the rules of grammar/syntax whilst playing games like Taboo. But in terms of expanding your vocabulary, or at least your ability to use the words that are already in your personal lexicon, you'd almost certainly improve.
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #10 (permalink) Wed Nov 29, 2006 17:23 pm   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

reading is fine but reading what you like and are strong interested in would be five times more effective

this is more or less like with women... :lol:

Jan
Jan

Location: At sea

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #11 (permalink) Wed Nov 29, 2006 19:18 pm   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

Hello. For to improve my english , I try to write diary, to keep a journal, and this way helped me, because, any word I don`t foundet in my mind, I open my vocabolary book, and fixed, and write in my personal vocabolary , and all day I practis, Horoskope too, is good, and my experience, I liked horoscope, and before two years ago, I reading my horoscop, and have problem to understend every think, but, now, is easy, I see my self different every day. One thanks for this page. Sincerely Bora.
Borjana

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #12 (permalink) Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:39 am   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

HI all!

I also think we should read as much as possible to gather more new words.You all right, and I also get my daily horoscope :) it's like a subject full of words on advice? Anyway, it helps me to get new words, but more than this, to copy the structure of sentences. Oh, you all have forgotten to mention writing on this forum :) It helped me to expand my vocabulary. As I see the words which I've learned and can't keep in my mind because I don't have chance to use them much,but when I see then in forum in your posts that is really very interesting for me, and I try to remember the meaning of the word.So, in that way It becomes easier to remember the words used by forum members, since I keep in mind whole the post :) It's really more interesting than boring texts in my university books :)

TORSTEN you're right as always in choosing subject,and I've read your article about it.OK, you are right, but then a question arised in my brain.I'm not a historian, architect, and so on, I will be a translator,so what can I do for keeping in mind words from all subjects???? Of cource, I can't reply to people whom I'll translate that "sorry, but I've learned only words from this subject, please don't talk art, or sport? it will be funny:) I'm in desperate,what can i do for learning all subjects? I know, of cource, I have to choose one sphere of translation maybe,so I would like to be a political translator,but what will happen if the politicians want to talk sport?????????

Does anybody have ideas or advice? Maybe somebody on forum is already a translator.

TORSTEN YOU ANSWER,AS YOU WROTE ABOUT SUBJECTS, MAYBE YOU'LL HAVE AN IDEA ABOUT TRANSLATORS?
_________________
Either nothing is truth, or the truth is unknown to us...
(3 years later)
The truth is what you believe in.
Medeya2012

Location: Azerbaijan

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #13 (permalink) Sat Dec 02, 2006 19:20 pm   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

Hi medeya
Train your memory and read special texts that cover a definite field even if you want to specialize your sphere of activity.
If you yearn to serve as an interpreter and be qualified you must be well-informed about the specific terminology every sphere has in abundance. All in all, your active vocabulary (word stock) must be vast and you must be ready that every member of the delegation can easily deviate from the subject. Keep in mind that being an interpreter is a very responsible job and very much depends on the way you translate. By the way, do you know than an interpreter has a right to be given in advance the topic of the discussion and list of terms referring to the subject? As far as I know, that chimes in with regulations,though I’m not 100% sure
Pamela

Location: RF

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #14 (permalink) Sat Dec 09, 2006 14:39 pm   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

Hi ed. I agree with MM, Torsten and other members. The great source of new words is the printed page. Therefore if you wish to increase your recognition vocabulary you must do a good deal of reading. This reading should follow your personal interest and needs. It should be regarded as pleasure, not a chore, because what is required is to increase your word-stock
Pamela

Location: RF

Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored #15 (permalink) Sun Dec 10, 2006 15:46 pm   Any ideas? Improving vocabulary without getting bored

prezbucky wrote:

Tom, I agree with you ! To play a game with words you learnt would be very interesting . And I wonder if our administrators can open some similar threads like "Words Game " or sort of , that would be funny! (and witty!!!!!!!!!!!!) :P :!:
FangFang

I need to have 60% to pass the CAE examJob (With development industrail urban life in the world...)Rubrics?What's your favourite plant?American/British idiomWhy is this site free of charge?job interview...I want to improve my English!GlobishPhet Cyclone!Which one is first to study; the English grammar or vocabularies?I want to say this...2010 and we still get this?