Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

pertaining to the sale of goods to final consumers; of the sale of merchandise to end users
retail
horrible
blanket
sophisticated
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "bear up"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between 'fled' and 'flew' | Difference between believe and discover
listening exercises
Meaning of "bear up" #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 15:48 pm   Meaning of "bear up"

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #69 "Bearing Information", question 1

Try and be a little more cheerful because if you don't bear ......... soon, you'll make everyone else miserable.

(a) through
(b) along
(c) up
(d) to

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #69 "Bearing Information", answer 1

Try and be a little more cheerful because if you don't bear up soon, you'll make everyone else miserable.

Correct answer: (c) up

what is bear?

Solly
Solly

Meaning of "bear up" #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 19:45 pm   Meaning of "bear up"

Hi Solly,

Bear as a verb has a general meaning of carry or support. The phrasal verb bear up suggests that you should try to lift your spirits/face what is happening/try to be more cheerful or optimistic.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "bear up" #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2011 15:31 pm   Meaning of "bear up"

Thank you
Rosemartha

Meaning of "bear up" #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2011 15:32 pm   Meaning of "bear up"

Thank you.
Rosemartha

Meaning of "bear up" #5 (permalink) Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:55 am   Meaning of "bear up"

Dear Mr Alan, what is the meaning of phrase "bearing information"? thank you
Trinhtram

Meaning of "bear up" #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:38 am   Meaning of "bear up"

Hi,

'Bearing information' would be an unusual way of saying 'providing/carrying information.'

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difference between 'fled' and 'flew' | Difference between believe and discover
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
species - man - acquired ????When don't I use a comma before "because"?Meaning of this phrasewhats the diffrence in the use of articles??can you help me?please,can you look this paragraphand correct itreckon vs. realizeWhy is there "S" been add eventhough after the word usually?depend on vs hang onCan I say: "I've been so busy" here?Difference between listen to and hearFeel free to askDifference between let and permit