to counsel; to offer guidance; to notify; to inform
target
advise
talk
bottom

Idiom: As thick as two short planks

Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand? | Why not the "start of something bad"?
Idiom: As thick as two short planks #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:23 am   Idiom: As thick as two short planks

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #15 "Teaching your Family to Drive", question 7

You'll be lucky if you get more than two words out of him because I'm afraid he's as thick as two short planks.

(a) very quiet
(b) very slow
(c) very wooden
(d) very stupid

ESL/EFL Test #15 "Teaching your Family to Drive", answer 7

You'll be lucky if you get more than two words out of him because I'm afraid he's very stupid.

Correct answer: (d) very stupid
_________________________

I really couldn't figure out what the idiom means. Could you give me the picture of it?

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Idiom: As thick as two short planks #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2006 13:50 pm   Idiom: As thick as two short planks

.
Thick (casual) = lacking mental agility; stupid. 'Two short planks' (two wooden boards of considerable physical thickness) is merely a jocular addition to the basic meaning.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Expressions with do and makeMeaning of antonymDoes the word "finish" refer to a future action?Differences among conduct, control and manageMeaning of murmurMeaning of "a devil of a time"Meaning of ramblingIs this a grammar test or a vocabulary test?An account at the bank VERSUS an account with a bankWould it be allright if the 'whatever the times' were 'at any time'?Why we have to use "which" in this sentence?Difference between 'target costing' and 'standard costing'Meaning of headway