Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

flow (of water, electricity, etc.); process; tendency; direction
current
housing
garner
poll
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Would it be allright if the 'whatever the times' were 'at any time'? | Idiom: As thick as two short planks
listening exercises
Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand? #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:33 am   Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #15 "Teaching your Family to Drive", question 9

In view of the way she behaved I thought it was a bit thick when she asked him to apologize to her.

(a) more than I could wish
(b) more than I could believe
(c) more than I could stand
(d) more than I could follow

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #15 "Teaching your Family to Drive", answer 9

In view of the way she behaved I thought it was more than I could stand when she asked him to apologize to her.

Correct answer: (c) more than I could stand

Your answer was: incorrect
In view of the way she behaved I thought it was more than I could follow when she asked him to apologize to her.

Hi,

Could a bit thick (a little more than necessary) go as far as more than I could stand? I thought it was 'a bit' so didn't choose c).

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand? #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2006 13:45 pm   Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?

The phrase as a whole-- 'a bit thick'-- is the idiom, Haihao.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Would it be allright if the 'whatever the times' were 'at any time'? | Idiom: As thick as two short planks
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of antonymDoes the word "finish" refer to a future action?Differences among conduct, control and manageMeaning of murmurMeaning of "a devil of a time"Meaning of ramblingIs this a grammar test or a vocabulary test?An account at the bank VERSUS an account with a bankWhy not the "start of something bad"?Why we have to use "which" in this sentence?Difference between 'target costing' and 'standard costing'Meaning of headwayReliable vs. patient