flow (of water, electricity, etc.); process; tendency; direction
current
housing
garner
poll

Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?

Would it be allright if the 'whatever the times' were 'at any time'? | Idiom: As thick as two short planks
Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand? #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:33 am   Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #15 "Teaching your Family to Drive", question 9

In view of the way she behaved I thought it was a bit thick when she asked him to apologize to her.

(a) more than I could wish
(b) more than I could believe
(c) more than I could stand
(d) more than I could follow

ESL/EFL Test #15 "Teaching your Family to Drive", answer 9

In view of the way she behaved I thought it was more than I could stand when she asked him to apologize to her.

Correct answer: (c) more than I could stand

In view of the way she behaved I thought it was more than I could follow when she asked him to apologize to her.
_________________________

Could a bit thick (a little more than necessary) go as far as more than I could stand? I thought it was 'a bit' so didn't choose c).

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand? #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 24, 2006 13:45 pm   Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?

.
The phrase as a whole-- 'a bit thick'-- is the idiom, Haihao.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of antonymDoes the word "finish" refer to a future action?Differences among conduct, control and manageMeaning of murmurMeaning of "a devil of a time"Meaning of ramblingIs this a grammar test or a vocabulary test?An account at the bank VERSUS an account with a bankWhy not the "start of something bad"?Why we have to use "which" in this sentence?Difference between 'target costing' and 'standard costing'Meaning of headwayReliable vs. patient