seemingly; probably
likely
above
further
nevertheless

Meaning of "a devil of a time"

An account at the bank VERSUS an account with a bank | Differences among conduct, control and manage
Meaning of "a devil of a time" #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 25, 2006 15:20 pm   Meaning of "a devil of a time"

ESL/EFL Test #70 "What the Devil", question 10

It took me ages to set up my computer because I spent the devil of a ......... trying to understand the notes.

(a) duration
(b) time
(c) length
(d) space

ESL/EFL Test #70 "What the Devil", answer 10

It took me ages to set up my computer because I spent the devil of a time trying to understand the notes.

Correct answer: (b) time

_________________________

What does "a devil of a time" mean?

Thank you
Grisha
Grisha

Devil of a time #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 25, 2006 15:38 pm   Devil of a time

Hi Grisha,

This expression means that you had a very difficult time and spent a long time trying to understand what the notes meant because they were very complicated.

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Is it right "The FRS lends ..., and known as the ... crises"?Regulator vs. adminstrator'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep'Expressions with do and makeMeaning of antonymDoes the word "finish" refer to a future action?Meaning of murmurMeaning of ramblingIs this a grammar test or a vocabulary test?Would it be allright if the 'whatever the times' were 'at any time'?Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?Idiom: As thick as two short planksWhy not the "start of something bad"?