of or pertaining to the upper class
buoyant
various
certain
society

Differences among conduct, control and manage

Meaning of "a devil of a time" | Meaning of murmur
Differences among conduct, control and manage #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:15 am   Differences among conduct, control and manage

ESL/EFL Test #180 "The US Mint", question 7

The primary mission of the United States Mint is to produce an adequate volume of coins for the nation to ......... its trade and commerce.

(a) conduct
(b) control
(c) lead
(d) manage

ESL/EFL Test #180 "The US Mint", answer 7

The primary mission of the United States Mint is to produce an adequate volume of coins for the nation to conduct its trade and commerce.

Correct answer: (a) conduct
_________________________

How can we tell the differences among "conduct", "control" and "manage"?? Personally I think conduct would be the best choice,but "control" and "manage" are reasonable too.

F.F
FangFang

Differences among conduct, control and manage #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:11 am   Differences among conduct, control and manage

,
Hello FangFang,

Conduct in this sentence is quite different from control and manage-- both of the latter suggest that the coined money in some way administers or governs trade; it does not, it is merely used as a medium of trade-- which is what conduct means here: to serve as a medium for conveying; transmit.
.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Is it right "The FRS lends ..., and known as the ... crises"?Meaning of 'start-up capital'Regulator vs. adminstrator'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep'Expressions with do and makeMeaning of antonymDoes the word "finish" refer to a future action?Meaning of ramblingIs this a grammar test or a vocabulary test?An account at the bank VERSUS an account with a bankWould it be allright if the 'whatever the times' were 'at any time'?Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?Idiom: As thick as two short planks