Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to irritate; to infuriate; to enrage
disembark
anger
scrutinize
route
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep'

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Expressions with do and make | Meaning of "down in the dumps"
listening exercises
'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep' #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:47 am   'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep'

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #16 "Expressions with Top", question 7

For the first time in ages I actually slept like a top last night.

(a) very quickly
(b) very slowly
(c) very often
(d) very soundly

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #16 "Expressions with Top", answer 7

For the first time in ages I actually slept very soundly last night.

Correct answer: (d) very soundly

Your answer was: correct

Hi,

Could you tell me why 'sleep like a top' = 'dead sleep'? Does it mean 'the upper most' here? Or is it just an idiom and has no particular 'in-depth'?

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

To sleep like a top #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:04 am   To sleep like a top

This idiom refers to a spinning top (a toy that spins when you twist it sharply):

Quote:
To sleep like a top is to sleep very soundly. This seems an odd way of describing a good sleep. However, the top referred to is indeed the child's toy. When it is spinning, it appears to be still. It is this apparent stillness that gave rise to the simile, first used in 1613.
Conchita
Language Coach

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep' #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:32 am   'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep'

Very convincible and satisfactory, Conchita, thank you very much.

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep' #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:36 am   'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep'

Convincing, Haihao; it is you who are convincible.

Expressions with do and make | Meaning of "down in the dumps"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is there any story or conversation for those questions?Meaning of 'I love you deeply'Meaning of "sort of a knee jerk"Expression: below stairsIs it right "The FRS lends ..., and known as the ... crises"?Meaning of 'start-up capital'Regulator vs. adminstratorCould down be used as a transitive verb?Meaning of antonymDoes the word "finish" refer to a future action?Differences among conduct, control and manageMeaning of murmurMeaning of "a devil of a time"