Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

clamp; fastener; shred; segment of video
construction
hallmark
railroad
clip
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Could down be used as a transitive verb?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of 'start-up capital' | Expression: below stairs
listening exercises
Could down be used as a transitive verb? #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:07 am   Could down be used as a transitive verb?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #17 "Down to Earth", question 3

As soon as they heard the news that one of their fellow workers had been given the sack, they all downed tools.

(a) went home
(b) stopped working
(c) stopped talking
(d) worked slowly

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #17 "Down to Earth", answer 3

As soon as they heard the news that one of their fellow workers had been given the sack, they all stopped working.

Correct answer: (b) stopped working

Your answer was: correct

Hi,

Downed tools suggests down is a verb here. Could down be used as a vt.?

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Down #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:17 am   Down

Hi Haihao,

Yes, it can be used as a transitive verb in a limited number of instances meaning to cause to come down/make come down/put down. Apart from the use in the test sentence it can also mean drink something very quickly as in: He downed his beer in one minute. It can also be used to mean in sport to knock someone down/make someone fall to the ground. You can also take the opposite 'up' and use that as a verb as in: I can't accept that price. I would like you to up (increase) it considerably.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Could down be used as a transitive verb? #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 29, 2006 0:53 am   Could down be used as a transitive verb?

Hi Alan,

I am fully satisfied and convinced with your excellent and considerate interpretation. I even got a bonus for the usage of 'up'! :D Thank you very much indeed.

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Meaning of 'start-up capital' | Expression: below stairs
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Use 'forgotten' + 'at home'Meaning of pubVerb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'Run off with VERSUS run throughMeaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'Is there any story or conversation for those questions?Meaning of 'I love you deeply'Meaning of "sort of a knee jerk"Is it right "The FRS lends ..., and known as the ... crises"?Regulator vs. adminstrator'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep'Expressions with do and makeMeaning of antonym