Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to repair; to improve; to be improved
loom
mend
mean
hazard
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'start-up capital'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Is it right "The FRS lends ..., and known as the ... crises"? | Could down be used as a transitive verb?
listening exercises
Meaning of 'start-up capital' #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2006 13:29 pm   Meaning of 'start-up capital'

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #161 "Start Your Own Bank", question 9

The minimum amount of ......... capital for a newly chartered bank should total at least $2,500,000 in capital stock.

(a) collected
(b) direct
(c) fixed
(d) startup

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #161 "Start Your Own Bank", answer 9

The minimum amount of startup capital for a newly chartered bank should total at least $2,500,000 in capital stock.

Correct answer: (d) startup

Hi ,again
Here I think it isn't wrong in meaning if I use "fixed ". That is to say, it is reasonable ,too. Unless you emphasize "startup" it would be a different choice. :)
FangFang
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of 'start-up capital' #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2006 14:38 pm   Meaning of 'start-up capital'

If you can explain to me what 'fixed capital' is, FangFang, I might accept it; I chose it for the collocation, but that collocation makes no sense to me as it stands in this context. Now the phrase, 'a fixed minimum amount of capital' would be reasonable. It's funny how important word order is in English sometimes, isn't it?

This bank is newly chartered, so needs a minimum amount of capital to begin operation: this is called 'startup capital'.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'start-up capital' #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2006 14:51 pm   Meaning of 'start-up capital'

Hi FangFang, I agree with MM, there is a difference between "fixed capital" and "start-up capital". Fixed capital relates to money, assets and other capital that is not used up during the business process. That's why it's called "fixed". Your start-up capital is the funding you need to get a business off the ground. This can be money you use to pay for your overheads during the launching phase of your company. If your start-up capital were fixed, you would not be able to use it in order to get the business started....

TOEIC listening, photographs: A picnic
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Is it right "The FRS lends ..., and known as the ... crises"? | Could down be used as a transitive verb?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Use 'forgotten' + 'at home'Meaning of pubVerb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'Is there any story or conversation for those questions?Meaning of 'I love you deeply'Meaning of "sort of a knee jerk"Expression: below stairsRegulator vs. adminstrator'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep'Expressions with do and makeMeaning of antonymDoes the word "finish" refer to a future action?