Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to defeat; to master; to crush; to stagger; to stun; to daze
overwhelm
prejudice
circumvent
combine
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: below stairs

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Could down be used as a transitive verb? | Meaning of "sort of a knee jerk"
listening exercises
Expression: below stairs #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:37 am   Expression: below stairs

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #18 "Expressions with low", question 5

In the 19th century in big houses the people who lived below stairs were the servants.

(a) under the floor
(b) at the bottom
(c) in the basement
(d) under the stairs

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #18 "Expressions with low", answer 5

In the 19th century in big houses the people who lived in the basement were the servants.

Correct answer: (c) in the basement

Your answer was: incorrect
In the 19th century in big houses the people who lived at the bottom were the servants.

Hi,

Is below stairs necessarily in the basement? Could it not be on the ground floor?

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: below stairs #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:18 am   Expression: below stairs

The idiom 'below stairs' (as opposed to 'above stairs') was used to refer specifically to the kitchen(s) and servants' quarters in the basement of a house.

Haihao wrote:
Could it not be on the ground floor?

Some houses can have a (storage) cupboard below/beneath the stairs on the ground floor.
Conchita
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Expression: below stairs #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2006 0:54 am   Expression: below stairs

Conchita... There was a fairly long running English television series called "Upstairs, Downstairs" which focused on the domestic situation of a family with servants in the early decades of the 20th century. The servants lived downstairs in the basement and 'below stairs' was a common way of referring to their physical location and also their social station. The servants might have referred to the family's place as being 'upstairs', but I don't think I've ever heard 'above stairs' used in this context.
Pond969
You can meet me at english-test.net

Expression: below stairs #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:32 am   Expression: below stairs

Hi,

Actually I watched a movie called 'Gosford Park' (2001, directed by Robert Altman) on which a castle in England was its stage. The drama was set in 1932 when servants were all working and living on the ground floor while the host and guests having fun on the first (second) floor.

Quote:
Plot Outline: Multiple storylined drama set in 1932, showing the lives of upstairs guest and downstairs servants at a party in a country house in England.

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Could down be used as a transitive verb? | Meaning of "sort of a knee jerk"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Use 'forgotten' + 'at home'Meaning of pubVerb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'Run off with VERSUS run throughBreak up a marriage VERSUS break off a marriageMeaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'Is there any story or conversation for those questions?Meaning of 'I love you deeply'Is it right "The FRS lends ..., and known as the ... crises"?Meaning of 'start-up capital'Regulator vs. adminstrator'sleep like a top' versus 'dead sleep'Expressions with do and make