Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

serious; grave; acute; difficult; rigorous; harsh; strict
transcendent
wire
buoyant
severe
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of 'I love you deeply' | Verb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'
listening exercises
Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart' #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 0:55 am   Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #217 "American English Idioms", question 4

I know there is a lot of biology material to cover and learn but if you want to pass the exam, you have to learn it by heart. What is the meaning of 'learn it by heart?' .........

(a) fail to remember
(b) commit to memory
(c) put out of one's mind
(d) eliminate a thought or idea

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #217 "American English Idioms", answer 4

I know there is a lot of biology material to cover and learn but if you want to pass the exam, you have to learn it by heart. What is the meaning of 'learn it by heart?' commit to memory

Correct answer: (b) commit to memory

repetition == learn it by heart?

Tor4in
Tor4in

Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart' #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:29 am   Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'

I'm not quite sure what your question is, so I'll have to make an assumption.

'Repetition' does not mean 'learn by heart'. However, repetition can be used as a way to learn something by heart. In other words, repetition can help you memorize things.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart' #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:40 am   Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'

'Rote learning' or 'to learn (a lesson, etc.) by rote' is another synonymous expression for 'to learn by heart'. It has a negative connotation and is far less common, though.
Conchita
Language Coach

Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart' #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 14:20 pm   Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'

the phrase "learn it by heart" is synonymous with "memorize it":

I'm going to learn this by heart. = I'm going to memorize this.

In case someone's already proffered a similar answer, I apologize for the overkill. hehe

Meaning of 'I love you deeply' | Verb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of 'fall through cracks'There should be vs. there'sWhat is meaning of 'hold up' and 'hold off'?Going back VERSUS going overUse 'forgotten' + 'at home''got to know' versus 'learned to know'Meaning of pubRun off with VERSUS run throughBreak up a marriage VERSUS break off a marriageIs there any story or conversation for those questions?Meaning of "sort of a knee jerk"Expression: below stairsIs it right "The FRS lends ..., and known as the ... crises"?