Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

articulate; eloquent; able to read and write with ease; graceful; flowing
fluent
subsidiary
versatile
head
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"break out" vs. "break away"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I find these sentences a bit distant from each other... | 'Whose' in questions
listening exercises
"break out" vs. "break away" #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:50 am   "break out" vs. "break away"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #148 "Idioms with the phrasal verb break", question 3

Residents living in the immediate vicinity of the prison were told to be on the look out for a group of criminals who recently ......... out of gaol.

(a) broke-off
(b) brpke-away
(c) broke-out
(d) broke-up

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #148 "Idioms with the phrasal verb break", answer 3

Residents living in the immediate vicinity of the prison were told to be on the look out for a group of criminals who recently broke-out out of gaol.

Correct answer: (c) broke-out

Your answer was: incorrect
Residents living in the immediate vicinity of the prison were told to be on the look out for a group of criminals who recently brpke-away out of gaol.

I thought a sentence like 'The robbery suspect broke away from the lockup.' was alright but why here 'broke away out of gaol' was incrrect? Is it because of the 'out of' but not 'from'?

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"break out" vs. "break away" #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:17 am   "break out" vs. "break away"

Hi Haihao

This sentence seems to have a number of typos and, in my opinion, it needs to be cleaned up. I'd say the test question should have also omitted the preposition 'out' and then the final correct sentence should read:

Residents living in the immediate vicinity of the prison were told to be on the look out for a group of criminals who recently broke out of gaol.

Additionally, none of the options should be hyphenated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Alan + Torsten
Do you agree?

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
"break out" vs. "break away" #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:53 am   "break out" vs. "break away"

Yes

I'm sending a note to Torsten.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

"break out" vs. "break away" #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 05, 2011 17:30 pm   "break out" vs. "break away"

broke out of gaol= run away from the jail?

many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I find these sentences a bit distant from each other... | 'Whose' in questions
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
He always helps out the underprivilegedout of shape and can't carry the necessary equipmentWhat does "front me" mean?What does "such a flake" mean?She is a fun, witty girlthey have been cohabitinghe packs a mean punchAmerican management is very results drivenDoes 'sponsor' mean the same as 'give help'?What does 'Priceless' mean?What's the meaning of bring back?interest vs. interestinglyCome under a lot of scrutiny?