to request the presence of; to solicit; to attract; to encourage; to promote
station
improve
invite
worry

Run off with VERSUS run through

Use 'forgotten' + 'at home' | Break up a marriage VERSUS break off a marriage
Run off with VERSUS run through #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:02 am   Run off with VERSUS run through

ESL/EFL Test #150 "Idioms with the phrasal verb run", question 4

My parents were very disappointed when they found out that I had ......... all their money.

(a) run off with
(b) run for
(c) run against
(d) run through

ESL/EFL Test #150 "Idioms with the phrasal verb run", answer 4

My parents were very disappointed when they found out that I had run off with all their money.

Correct answer: (a) run off with

My parents were very disappointed when they found out that I had run through all their money.
_________________________

I thought run through was as good a choice as run off with when it means use up quickly. Am I right?

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Run off with VERSUS run through #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:37 pm   Run off with VERSUS run through

"run through" has more than one meaning.

The near-literal meaning is to go through, as in charge through something. To penetrate or pierce.

The figurative meaning is go over or orient someone on something. Giving pointers.

The idiom "run of with" means to escape or get away with something, usually associated with theft.
Ron1970

Location: Manila, Philippines

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Run #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 02, 2006 13:10 pm   Run

Hi Haihao,

Run off with can be replaced with the words 'abscond with', which usually suggests somebody has helped themselves to money without permission and run away. I think this is suggested in the sentence by using the words when they found out. On the other hand your choice of 'run through' can be used to describe spending money carelessly and very quickly.

_________________

Run off with VERSUS run through #4 (permalink) Sun Dec 03, 2006 0:13 am   Run off with VERSUS run through

Hi Alan and Ron,

Thank you for your detailed explanation, which made the both phrasal verbs very clear to me. But just for an 'expanded' thought and learning, I still wonder if I could rearrange the original sentence as:

1. My parents were despairing when they found out that I had run off with all their money. (Their own daughter/son acted like a ruthless thief to themselves)

2. My parents were very disappointed when they found out that I had run through all their money. (Their daughter/son acted very badly like a squanderer, at worst)

In this sense, I wonder if 'run through' could even be a better choice for the test. Could I think this way?

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Run off with VERSUS run through #5 (permalink) Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:33 am   Run off with VERSUS run through

Hi Haihao

I think you can look at it this way:

If it had been a case of running through your parents' money, it is quite likely that your parents would have noticed a problem before all of the money was gone and put a stop to it. Although you can run through money relatively quickly, it doesn't happen all at once.

If a child had run off with all the parents' money, the money would have disappeared all at once and the parents would only find out that something was wrong when they suddenly discover that their bank account balance is zero (i.e. all of the money is suddenly gone).

_________________

Run off with VERSUS run through #6 (permalink) Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:27 am   Run off with VERSUS run through

Thank you for this too, Amy, and now I am sure I can have a sound sleep tonight but I realized at the same time that I may have ruined yours or taken up too much of your time so I am sorry and thank you so very much for your ever and again patience and kindness with me.

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Phrase: 'listen to spoken English'Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and conditionPhrasal verb: to put up'their' instead 'her' because object of 'many people' is 'their'Meaning of 'fall through cracks'There should be vs. there'sWhat is meaning of 'hold up' and 'hold off'?Going back VERSUS going over'got to know' versus 'learned to know'Meaning of pubVerb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'Is there any story or conversation for those questions?