to supply with stock; to equip with supplies (esp. food)
protect
bargain
provision
caution

Verb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'

Meaning of expression: 'to learn by heart' | Meaning of pub
Verb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive' #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 21:48 pm   Verb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Adverbs and Gerunds", question 8

I delayed to write my letter to her because I didn't know in all honesty what to say.

(a) to write
(b) in
(c) to say

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Adverbs and Gerunds", answer 8

I delayed writing my letter to her because I didn't know in all honesty what to say.

Correct entry: writing
The error was: (a) to write
_________________________

Why anser A is correct?

Oma Tutsi
Oma Tutsi

Verb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive' #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 22:10 pm   Verb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'

.
In this type of test you first have to find the part of the sentence that is wrong and then you have to type in the correct answer.

The verb delay cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'. You need to use the '-ing form' instead.

So, 'to write' (a) is the part of the test sentence that is incorrect. And the correction that you need to type in is 'writing'.
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
'their' instead 'her' because object of 'many people' is 'their'Meaning of 'fall through cracks'There should be vs. there'sWhat is meaning of 'hold up' and 'hold off'?Going back VERSUS going overUse 'forgotten' + 'at home''got to know' versus 'learned to know'Run off with VERSUS run throughBreak up a marriage VERSUS break off a marriageIs there any story or conversation for those questions?Meaning of 'I love you deeply'Meaning of "sort of a knee jerk"Expression: below stairs