Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

identical; corresponding; in agreement; harmonious
congruent
regardless
evasive
initialed
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "branched out"

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of 'shopping cart' | Live at a place vs. live by a place
listening exercises
Meaning of "branched out" #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 02, 2006 14:25 pm   Meaning of "branched out"

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #84 "ESL Prepositions", question 8

The clothing manufacturer recently branched ......... into sport's wear.

(a) out
(b) in
(c) off
(d) back

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #84 "ESL Prepositions", answer 8

The clothing manufacturer recently branched out into sport's wear.

Correct answer: (a) out

Your answer was: correct

hi,

why "branched out"?

Malkin
Malkin

Meaning of "branched out" #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 02, 2006 14:31 pm   Meaning of "branched out"

Hi,

The sense of 'branch out' here is try a new market. If for example a shop that usually only sells food and newspapers decides also to sell electrical goods as well. it is said to be 'branching out into a new market.'

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "branched out" #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 15:12 pm   Meaning of "branched out"

Please tell me what is the difference between:''branch out'' and ''branch off'', because these expressions translated into Polish mean the same.
And tell me in the addition, I should write:,,Please tell me what is difference between:...'' or ,,Please tell me what the difference is between:...''
Thanks a lot!!!
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Meaning of "branched out" #4 (permalink) Sun Dec 20, 2009 0:14 am   Meaning of "branched out"

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

89 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Saneta

1. Branch off is usually used when a road forks off or separates from another road:

A passage branching off from the main road.

2. Use 'Please tell me what the difference is....' because that's the correct form in an indirect question.

Regards
Ali
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

Meaning of 'shopping cart' | Live at a place vs. live by a place
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Is to pull around mean to carry or to overcome?Could we say "They understand well each other"?Use 'in the United States and Canada' not 'in the United Stated and in Canada'?Why did a lot of pedestrian walk across the street when the light turned green?The days of the week?What means adin in the definition of amokWhat are dairy products?What are carrier and boat and aircraft?What does 'get up' mean?Is spring just around the ..?What does ridicule mean? or ridiculous? or ridiculing? or ridiculed?what is the past tense of fetch?What is a "fleet of ships"?