quite; sufficiently; fairly
counter
seamlessly
enough
rarely

'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

'perpetulate' vs 'perpetuate' | "add up" vs "add right"
'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world' #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:22 am   'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Idioms with the phrasal verb get", question 7

The days when Americans can ......... in the world on English only will soon be gone.

(a) get in
(b) get off
(c) get by
(d) get on

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Idioms with the phrasal verb get", answer 7

The days when Americans can get by in the world on English only will soon be gone.

Correct answer: (c) get by

The days when Americans can get on in the world on English only will soon be gone.
_________________________

I tought 'get on in the world' (= be successful) was a better choice for the test. Also, should 'the days that' be better than 'the days when'?

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world' #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 26, 2006 23:36 pm   'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

As I see it, 'get by in the world' in the sense of 'manage', though informal, has about the same meaning as 'get on in the world'. Perhaps it's a matter of not wanting to repeat the same preposition in one clause?

As for 'the days when' versus 'the days that', in this context, the former sounds much better to me.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world' #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:03 am   'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

What a weird word 'get'!
I think 'get on' isn't good here because it's too positive.

The Americans might get on quite well in the world on English only in the next few years.
In this example is 'get by' bad, isn't it?

Oh darling,
I might get by with no money, but I can't get on without you.

Is this posy right?
Capablanca.
Capablanca

Location: Germany

'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world' #4 (permalink) Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:55 am   'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

'the days when...' is fine, but the answer to the test question is definitely indistinct. Although I think 'get by' is the best answer, I would find 'get on' perfectly acceptable.
If I've edited this correctly (it's my first time editing the database), a change will appear in the next day or so which removes the ambiguity.
_________________

'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world' #5 (permalink) Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:58 am   'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

'The days when Americans can get by in the world on English only will soon be gone.'

Dear teachers,
Could you please explain the meaning of the above sentence for me? How poor I am when unable to tell what it really means.
Nga Tran

'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world' #6 (permalink) Thu Oct 13, 2011 13:49 pm   'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

please explain: to get by in the world on English only = to cope (manage) in the world knowing English only?

many thanks

'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world' #7 (permalink) Thu Oct 13, 2011 13:55 pm   'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

Saneta wrote:

many thanks

No,
It means "to manage to survive on English only".
Speaking English gives Americans a great advantage in the world, but according to the sentence soon they will lose this advantage.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/get+by
_________________

'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world' #8 (permalink) Thu Oct 13, 2011 14:49 pm   'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

Our Tort System wrote:
No,

''Survive on English''? Does this mean that they will eat English or use English to pay for their needs?
Gelu

'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world' #9 (permalink) Thu Oct 13, 2011 16:54 pm   'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

'Survive on English only' suggests manage to live or manage to make a living by using the English language only either for work or to make contacts with people who can help them get a job.

_________________

'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world' #10 (permalink) Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:33 am   'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

Dear Mr Alan,
why not: 'Survive on English only' suggests to manage...etc. ?

Gelu,
it's funny and very interesting: to eat English ?

Modern-day nautical expertsnuisance tests, urm, plantsWhat is an eggplant?He ordered the rack of lamb as his entreethe five-story Al Ghaza Hotel.Children should never be allowed to playI like even numbers better than odd onesthat name rings a bellinstill a love for learninga reasonable personyou would buy yourselfI was told that his chances for pulling down the surgery were slim and if he...'free reign' vs 'free rein'