Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

inhabitant; one who lives in a particular location
resident
embrace
remit
gate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Use 'forgotten' + 'at home'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of pub | Run off with VERSUS run through
listening exercises
Use 'forgotten' + 'at home' #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:19 am   Use 'forgotten' + 'at home'

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #213 "What comes next (the bill)", question 1

This is most embarrassing. I can't pay the bill for my meal. I'm afraid ..........

(a) I've forgotten my wallet at home
(b) I've left my wallet at home
(c) I've abandoned my wallet at home
(d) I've quit my wallet at home

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #213 "What comes next (the bill)", answer 1

This is most embarrassing. I can't pay the bill for my meal. I'm afraid I've left my wallet at home.

Correct answer: (b) I've left my wallet at home

Your answer was: incorrect
This is most embarrassing. I can't pay the bill for my meal. I'm afraid I've forgotten my wallet at home.

Why is it incorrect?

Dinea
Dinea

Use 'forgotten' + 'at home' #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:39 am   Use 'forgotten' + 'at home'

Hi

I'm not quite sure what your question is, but it would only be possible to use 'forgotten' if you omit 'at home':
I'm afraid I've forgotten my wallet.

When the location of the forgotten thing is specifically mentioned, you need to use 'leave' instead of 'forget':
I'm afraid I've left my wallet at home.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of pub | Run off with VERSUS run through
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and conditionPhrasal verb: to put up'their' instead 'her' because object of 'many people' is 'their'Meaning of 'fall through cracks'There should be vs. there'sWhat is meaning of 'hold up' and 'hold off'?Going back VERSUS going over'got to know' versus 'learned to know'Verb "delay" cannot be followed by a 'to infinitive'Break up a marriage VERSUS break off a marriageMeaning of expression: 'to learn by heart'Is there any story or conversation for those questions?Meaning of 'I love you deeply'