act of casting back a mirror image; act of sending back energy from a surface; idea; concept
cash
reflection
cheque
plumber

Going back VERSUS going over

What is meaning of 'hold up' and 'hold off'? | Meaning of 'fall through cracks'
Going back VERSUS going over #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:05 am   Going back VERSUS going over

ESL/EFL Test #164 "Idioms with the phrasal verb go", question 9

A chiropractor who claims he can treat anyone by ......... in time to when an injury occurred has attracted the attention of State regulators.

(a) going out
(b) going off
(c) going back
(d) going over

ESL/EFL Test #164 "Idioms with the phrasal verb go", answer 9

A chiropractor who claims he can treat anyone by going back in time to when an injury occurred has attracted the attention of State regulators.

Correct answer: (c) going back

A chiropractor who claims he can treat anyone by going over in time to when an injury occurred has attracted the attention of State regulators.
_________________________

Could you tell me what suggestes the chiropractor 'going back' and from where? Also, what is the 'to' in 'in time to when'?

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Going back VERSUS going over #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:49 am   Going back VERSUS going over

Hi Haihao

The sentence is saying that the chiropracter claims he can travel backwards in time -- He can travel to the past.
'going back' and from where?
From now

Also, what is the 'to' in 'in time to when'?
From now to the time of the injury (The injury occurred in the past.)

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Going back VERSUS going over #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:11 am   Going back VERSUS going over

Wow, Sounds like time machine! Thank you, Amy, I got the catch.

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Hard is adjective and adverbHalt vs. stopPhrase: 'listen to spoken English'Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and conditionPhrasal verb: to put upPhrasal verb: look'their' instead 'her' because object of 'many people' is 'their'Passive voice construction: followed by MarchWhen do you use look, watch, see and gaze?There should be vs. there'sUse 'forgotten' + 'at home''got to know' versus 'learned to know'Meaning of pub