Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

range; journey; track; path; series; sequence
run
suggestion
uncertainty
attachment
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Break the back of | What does "get through with you" mean?
listening exercises
Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:42 am   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #166 "Phrasal Verbs (B to C)", question 4

Candace has a bad habit of ......... front of others.

(a) butting in
(b) butting
(c) butting into

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #166 "Phrasal Verbs (B to C)", answer 4

Candace has a bad habit of butting in front of others.

Correct answer: (a) butting in

Your answer was: correct

Hi,

I felt something must have been missing between butting in and front of others but I was not sure 'butting in in front of others' could make any sense so could you tell me where was the problem?

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:54 am   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

Yes, you're right. The second 'in' is missing.

Thanks

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:54 am   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

'butting in in front of others'? -please explain
many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #4 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 17:11 pm   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

butting in = interrupting or pushing into the wrong place in a queue.
In this case, because this expression is combined with a phrase which starts with 'in' -- 'in front of others' -- a double 'in' is created:
butting in/in front of others
Language Coach

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 22, 2012 22:57 pm   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

I try to figure out what it mean in the oxford dictionary but didn't understant it compeletly could you explain it more clearly
thanks a lot
Igal1
You can meet me at english-test.net

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 22, 2012 23:16 pm   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

Hi,

If people are having a conversation and another person arrives and starts talking to the people in the middle of their conversation without being introduced, you would say that person is butting in.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 22, 2012 23:34 pm   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

thanks Alan
Igal1
You can meet me at english-test.net

Break the back of | What does "get through with you" mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
He talked me into driving his car. It is a sweet ride.I feel like camping on the weekend. Do you want to come?It is interesting first time: I wrote to camp and it was good.meeting the deadlinecare for' means 'he was not keen on'What is the difference if the order of words changed?What parts of speech is 'walk' here?What is the difference between concerning and complacent?What does catch on mean?sum vs amountWhat does this mean: And if all else fails?How to use the reflexive pronouns?Meaning of arrested