range; journey; track; path; series; sequence
run
suggestion
uncertainty
attachment

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

Break the back of | What does "get through with you" mean?
Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:42 am   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

ESL/EFL Test #166 "Phrasal Verbs (B to C)", question 4

Candace has a bad habit of ......... front of others.

(a) butting in
(b) butting
(c) butting into

ESL/EFL Test #166 "Phrasal Verbs (B to C)", answer 4

Candace has a bad habit of butting in front of others.

Correct answer: (a) butting in

_________________________

I felt something must have been missing between butting in and front of others but I was not sure 'butting in in front of others' could make any sense so could you tell me where was the problem?

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:54 am   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

Yes, you're right. The second 'in' is missing.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:54 am   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

'butting in in front of others'? -please explain
many thanks

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #4 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 17:11 pm   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

butting in = interrupting or pushing into the wrong place in a queue.
In this case, because this expression is combined with a phrase which starts with 'in' -- 'in front of others' -- a double 'in' is created:
butting in/in front of others
_________________

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 22, 2012 22:57 pm   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

I try to figure out what it mean in the oxford dictionary but didn't understant it compeletly could you explain it more clearly
thanks a lot
Igal1

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 22, 2012 23:16 pm   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

If people are having a conversation and another person arrives and starts talking to the people in the middle of their conversation without being introduced, you would say that person is butting in.

_________________

Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 22, 2012 23:34 pm   Butting in front of others vs. butting in in front of others

thanks Alan
Igal1

He talked me into driving his car. It is a sweet ride.I feel like camping on the weekend. Do you want to come?It is interesting first time: I wrote to camp and it was good.meeting the deadlinecare for' means 'he was not keen on'What is the difference if the order of words changed?What parts of speech is 'walk' here?What is the difference between concerning and complacent?What does catch on mean?sum vs amountWhat does this mean: And if all else fails?How to use the reflexive pronouns?Meaning of arrested