Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

certificate that bears monetary value; coupon; receipt; authorizer; endorser
craft
voucher
discard
avail
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
A freedom warrior is a common term... | Pulling through this period
listening exercises
Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood? #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:46 am   Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #164 "Idioms with the phrasal verb go", question 1

Pakistani viewers will no longer be able to watch their favorite Bollywoood movies as the government has decided that all Indian cable channels will ......... the air at the end of this month.

(a) go off
(b) go out
(c) go on
(d) go over

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #164 "Idioms with the phrasal verb go", answer 1

Pakistani viewers will no longer be able to watch their favorite Bollywoood movies as the government has decided that all Indian cable channels will go off the air at the end of this month.

Correct answer: (a) go off

Your answer was: correct

Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood?

Dugan
Dugan

Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood? #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:53 am   Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood?

Yes
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood? #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:35 am   Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood?

To add a little more: 'Bollywood' is a contraction of 'Bombay' (the former name of Mumbai) and 'Hollywood' -- shouldn't it theoretically be called 'Mollywood' now?
Conchita
Language Coach

Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood? #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:40 am   Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood?

Gollygood idea!

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood? #5 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:09 am   Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood?

go off the air?-please explain

thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood? #6 (permalink) Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:56 am   Are Indian movies called Bollywoood like Hollywood?

Hi Saneta,

'Go off the air' is an expression from broadcasting. It means that something is no longer being broadcast. The opposite 'on air' indicates that something is actually now being broadcast.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

A freedom warrior is a common term... | Pulling through this period
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Children should never be allowed to playI like even numbers better than odd onesthat name rings a bellinstill a love for learningget on with the rugby match.I'm catching the red-eyea reasonable personpeople enjoyed bowling at village dancesWhy use "starred" in this sentence?What kind of prizes is the US Open?"go out" vs "go on"Why is the answer beside?What does diagnose mean?