to establish; to set up; to begin; to initiate; to start
expedite
challenge
institute
reschedule

Meaning of 'fall through cracks'

Going back VERSUS going over | 'their' instead 'her' because object of 'many people' is 'their'
Meaning of 'fall through cracks' #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:27 am   Meaning of 'fall through cracks'

ESL/EFL Test #176 "Idioms with the prasal verb fall", question 4

Student mentors catch children before they ......... cracks.

(a) fall through
(b) fall behind
(c) fall back on
(d) fall out with

ESL/EFL Test #176 "Idioms with the prasal verb fall", answer 4

Student mentors catch children before they fall through cracks.

Correct answer: (a) fall through

_________________________

Is 'fall through cracks' an idiom? I really don't know its meaning but just figured it out from 'fall through' (failer).

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Meaning of 'fall through cracks' #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:53 am   Meaning of 'fall through cracks'

Hi Haihao,

I am not familiar with the expression 'fall through the cracks' but surmise as you have done that it suggests some kind of failure. There are other other expressions that I do know that convey a similar idea and they are:

fall by the wayside
slip through the net

They both suggest that people (children in the case of the test) do not complete the usual process or that they fail on the way.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Hard is adjective and adverbHalt vs. stopPhrase: 'listen to spoken English'Can't we use work instead of job?Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and conditionPhrasal verb: to put upPhrasal verb: lookPassive voice construction: followed by MarchWhen do you use look, watch, see and gaze?There should be vs. there'sWhat is meaning of 'hold up' and 'hold off'?Use 'forgotten' + 'at home''got to know' versus 'learned to know'