Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

act of making changes; alteration; proof sheet made to verify changes made and check for additional errors
stack
cast
revise
instrument
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Phrasal verb: look

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Phrase: 'listen to spoken English' | When do you use look, watch, see and gaze?
listening exercises
Phrasal verb: look #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:33 am   Phrasal verb: look

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #195 "Phrasal Verbs (L)", question 9

Before Sheila died from a long cancer battle, she asked her sister to ......... her children.

(a) look down
(b) look over
(c) look in

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #195 "Phrasal Verbs (L)", answer 9

Before Sheila died from a long cancer battle, she asked her sister to look over her children.

Correct answer: (b) look over

Your answer was: correct

Hi,

Look over seems to be the only choice among the three but I feel it still weird in the context. Should it have been 'look after'?

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Phrasal verb: look #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:38 am   Phrasal verb: look

Oh, dear. I hadn't seen this test question before. :shock:
You are right, Haihao. There isn't any correct choice given. 'Look after' would be an appropriate phrasal verb here.

The wording could also use some improvement:

Before Sheila died from a long cancer battle, she asked her sister to look after her children.

Amy

Torsten, the red part also needs improvement.

- die from/of cancer
- battle with cancer

(But normally a person dies of cancer, not from the battle with it)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Long cancer battles #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 17:25 pm   Long cancer battles

Hello,
As far as the sentence, I think it's OK because people die from battles all the time. Battle, in this context, is referring to the long, arduous process which eventually took her life. So, it's implied that, of course, the cancer took her life but that also, of course, she battled with it and then lost the battle.
As far as the 'look over' portion, I have heard that phrasal verb used many times before. It's especially used when speaking about children and taking care of them. I believe it's an American phrasal verb. People 'look over' or 'look after' children all the time.
For example, "Will you look over my young children when I'm gone?" I don't see the problem because I've heard it many times before and grammatically, it's like many other phrasal verbs such as 'look after,' for example.
I'm sorry if this caused any confusion.
Linda
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Phrasal verb: look #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 19:00 pm   Phrasal verb: look

Hi Haihao,

You might care to look at a piece I've written for the site using 'look' as a phrasal verb:

Phrasal verb look
http://www.english-test.net/lessons/14/index.html

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Look #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 19:03 pm   Look

Hi,

I think I'd prefer something like 'battle with cancer as an expression' also and to me 'look over' usually means 'check' as in: I've written a reply but I'm not sure it's good enough so would you care to look over it for me?

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Phrase: 'listen to spoken English' | When do you use look, watch, see and gaze?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does bald mean?What does "accommodate" mean in this sentence?Difference between "depict" and "delineate"Hard is adjective and adverbHalt vs. stopCan't we use work instead of job?Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and conditionPhrasal verb: to put up'their' instead 'her' because object of 'many people' is 'their'Passive voice construction: followed by MarchMeaning of 'fall through cracks'There should be vs. there'sWhat is meaning of 'hold up' and 'hold off'?