Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

reporter; person who writes for a newspaper or magazine; correspondent
upgrade
remark
autograph
journalist
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Phrasal verb: to put up

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
'their' instead 'her' because object of 'many people' is 'their' | Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and condition
listening exercises
Phrasal verb: to put up #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:03 am   Phrasal verb: to put up

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #197 "Phrasal Verbs (P to R)", question 8

Kathleen felt like she had to ......... with a lot from her family.

(a) put up
(b) put over
(c) put

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #197 "Phrasal Verbs (P to R)", answer 8

Kathleen felt like she had to put up with a lot from her family.

Correct answer: (a) put up

Your answer was: correct

Hi,

Is the 'from' OK or should be 'for'?

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Phrasal verb: to put up #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:24 am   Phrasal verb: to put up

Hi Haihao

From is correct.

Theoretically, you could also use for, but then the meaning of the sentence would change. Would you like to try to figure out the two different meanings yourself? ;)

Amy

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Phrasal verb: to put up #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:15 am   Phrasal verb: to put up

Sure, let me try. 'From her family' could be something hard for her but requested or forced by her family while 'for' suggests she voluntarily take up the burden for the sake of her family. Could I understand it like this, Amy? Thank you.

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'their' instead 'her' because object of 'many people' is 'their' | Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and condition
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Difference between "depict" and "delineate"Hard is adjective and adverbHalt vs. stopPhrase: 'listen to spoken English'Can't we use work instead of job?Phrasal verb: lookPassive voice construction: followed by MarchMeaning of 'fall through cracks'When do you use look, watch, see and gaze?There should be vs. there'sWhat is meaning of 'hold up' and 'hold off'?Going back VERSUS going overUse 'forgotten' + 'at home'