commonplace; ordinary; usual; customary; habitual
routine
equivalent
expensive
bottom

Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and condition

Phrasal verb: to put up | Phrase: 'listen to spoken English'
Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and condition #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:43 am   Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and condition

ESL/EFL Test #74 "At the End of the Day (3)", question 9

But if you have no ......... at all, the best thing is to drop off or nod off in the middle of the conversation.

(a) restrictions
(b) inhibitions
(c) prohibitions
(d) conditions

ESL/EFL Test #74 "At the End of the Day (3)", answer 9

But if you have no inhibitions at all, the best thing is to drop off or nod off in the middle of the conversation.

Correct answer: (b) inhibitions
_________________________

would you please explain the difference between the four choices?
marian

Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and condition #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:05 am   Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and condition

Restriction is limitation as in speed restrictions.

An inhibition is something which prevents you from expressing yourself freely or from letting yourself go: get rid of your inhibitions.

Prohibition is forbidding (especially the sale of alcohol) – telling someone not to do something.

Condition can mean state: the bicycle is in very good condition; weather conditions are appalling. It also means ‘term' (of a bargain): he will come on condition that we let him pay, provided that we let him pay; there are various conditions attached to the agreement. Another definition is ‘bad state’: she has a heart condition, she has a weak heart.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does "accommodate" mean in this sentence?Difference between "depict" and "delineate"Hard is adjective and adverbHalt vs. stopCan't we use work instead of job?Phrasal verb: look'their' instead 'her' because object of 'many people' is 'their'Passive voice construction: followed by MarchMeaning of 'fall through cracks'When do you use look, watch, see and gaze?There should be vs. there'sWhat is meaning of 'hold up' and 'hold off'?Going back VERSUS going over