Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

ingredient; single piece which forms part of a larger unit; part; constituent; element
component
behind
step
offensive
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Can't we use work instead of job?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Hard is adjective and adverb | Idiom: out of my depth
listening exercises
Can't we use work instead of job? #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:05 am   Can't we use work instead of job?

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #136 "How to make exclamations", question 7

Wow! You've certainly made a good ......... of decorating this room.

(a) job
(b) work
(c) task
(d) duty

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #136 "How to make exclamations", answer 7

Wow! You've certainly made a good job of decorating this room.

Correct answer: (a) job

Your answer was: incorrect
Wow! You've certainly made a good work of decorating this room.

Can't we use work instead of job?

Ilona
Ilona

Can't we use work instead of job? #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 06, 2006 14:01 pm   Can't we use work instead of job?

No, you can't. The word job is countable, so you can say a good job. The word work cannot be used as a countable noun in this sort of context.

However you could say something like this:
You've certainly done good work decorating this room.

Amy

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Can't we use work instead of job? #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 07, 2006 15:13 pm   Can't we use work instead of job?

Thanks Amy! Very useful and interesting. I would never use "work" in this context, but from your post it is clear that we can use it without any preposition.

By the way, which name you prefer: Amy or Yankee? And also where the word "Yankee" comes from?

Can't we use work instead of job? #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 07, 2006 17:14 pm   Can't we use work instead of job?

Hi Ahmadov

My first name is Amy. I chose Yankee as my forum name because 'Amy' was already taken when I joined. Yankee reflects my roots. "Real" Yankees come from the northeastern part of the US -- especially New England.

The name Yankee is sometimes used disparagingly by "non-Yankees". But Yankees don't mind -- we know that those people are simply envious. ;) :lol:

Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

Amy

Can't we use work instead of job? #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 07, 2006 17:39 pm   Can't we use work instead of job?

Hi Zahir, Hi,

If you want to learn more about Amy and her nickname you can also read this thread: Howdy! I'm Amy and I'm a Yankee.
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic7840.html

Also, your question should read: Also, where does the word "Yankee" come from?

Regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: An outdoor scene
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Can't we use work instead of job? #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 07, 2006 18:37 pm   Can't we use work instead of job?

...or delete "And" or "also" since both are similar (in this case), and using both leads to redundancy.

I'd delete "And", yielding the following question:

Also, where does the word "Yankee" come from?

:)

Can't we use work instead of job? #7 (permalink) Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:05 am   Can't we use work instead of job?

Thanks a lot, Torsten and Yankee (so, I have decided to use this one if you are proud of this name)!
Dear Torsten, the mistake you spot shows that I need to spend more time with this web site. Otherwise, I am starting to make silly and simple mistakes. But it is good that you all are here to help us!
Thank you again!

Hard is adjective and adverb | Idiom: out of my depth
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Difference between "forward" and "foster"Exchange vs. shift vs. change vs. varyOver 300 million books vs. more 300 million booksReceipt vs. billThe sky is very cloudy today vs. The sky is much cloudy todayWhat does bald mean?What does "accommodate" mean in this sentence?Difference between "depict" and "delineate"Halt vs. stopPhrase: 'listen to spoken English'Meaning of restriction, inhibition, prohibition and conditionPhrasal verb: to put upPhrasal verb: look