Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

moment; very short space of time; current month
stop
instant
pharmacist
carrier
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does skiing mean? | The pencil and paper is on my desk?
listening exercises
I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers? #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 07, 2006 15:59 pm   I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #41 "Basic American English", question 5

Do you like Microsoft ......... Macintosh computers more?

(a) from
(b) or
(c) but
(d) of

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #41 "Basic American English", answer 5

Do you like Microsoft or Macintosh computers more?

Correct answer: (b) or

I think it should be: "Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?"
Why do you add "more" in this question?

hanni
hanni

I think it should be: "Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?" #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 07, 2006 18:44 pm   I think it should be: "Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?"

Just IMO (in my opinion)...

There is a better way to make this query:

Do you prefer Microsoft or Macintosh computers?

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I think it should be: "Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?" #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 07, 2006 18:50 pm   I think it should be: "Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?"

The reason "more" is necessary is this (for example):

"Do you like Microsoft or Macintosh computers?"

"Yes, I like Microsoft or Macintosh computers."

You see, as the question is written, choosing between the two computers is not mandatory -- you could answer that, yes, you like Microsoft computers... you like neither... you like both... etc.

"Do you like Microsoft or Macintosh computers?" does not force the respondent to voice his preference for one.

When you ask, "Do you prefer Microsoft or Macintosh computers?" or "Do you like Microsoft or Macintosh computers more?" -- the person you are asking is forced to state his preference.

I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers? #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 22, 2008 17:55 pm   I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?

I want to notice that in the explanations to this question , the questions is:Do you like Microsoft ......... Macintosh computers more? and in the test is different question: Do you prefer Microsoft ......... Macintosh computers more? Please correct this error!
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers? #5 (permalink) Wed Oct 22, 2008 20:38 pm   I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?

Hi Saneta,

Please read the question and the explanation again. There is no mistake:
Do you like Microsoft or Macintosh computers more?
Do you prefer Microsoft or Macintosh?

'like more' = 'prefer'

TOEIC listening, question-response: When were these files last updated?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers? #6 (permalink) Thu Feb 12, 2009 19:47 pm   I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?

Shouldn't we say, "I prefer Microsoft TO Macintosh"?
Peternot

I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers? #7 (permalink) Mon May 04, 2009 7:16 am   I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?

hi,

Do you prefer Microsoft ......... Macintosh computers?

(a) from
(b) or
(c) but
(d) of

I'm kinda confused with this question... yes, this question is like you are comparing the two brand of computers. But, isn't also right to ask: "Do you prefer Microsoft from Macintosh computers?"? -- In this view, you are only asking confirmation if he/she preferred Microsoft most than Macintosh.

Thank you for the clarifications...
Theone
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers? #8 (permalink) Mon May 04, 2009 7:36 am   I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?

In this instance, or =which. You are being asked to state a preference.

Which do you like more/ prefer, Microsoft or Macintosh?

I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers? #9 (permalink) Mon May 04, 2009 9:18 am   I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?

Maraming salamat po... (Thank you very much) -- My way on saying thank you for the clarifications...
Theone
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers? #10 (permalink) Sat Nov 28, 2009 14:22 pm   I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?

hi,

Do you prefer Microsoft ......... Macintosh computers?

(a) from
(b) or
(c) but
(d) of

Do you prefer Microsoft <to> Macintosh computers? is it make sensen on that sentence?
thanks.
Watie
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does skiing mean? | The pencil and paper is on my desk?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is the meaning of the idiom "had a pig"?What does I don't buy it mean?What does discord mean?For vs. throughMaster (M.A), or masters?what is the meaning of hook up?What are sinuses?Do you provide a warrant? If yes, could you tell me how long and on what terms?what are the qualities of a business plan?'All you have to do is to telephone this number' OR 'All you have to make is ...'Who vs. whomWhat does 'un-right' mean?Why it is "like" instead of "liked"?