Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to write or print a series of names or items according to a certain order; to inscribe; to record
manufacture
discover
list
secure
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What's wrong with vs. What's funny with

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
unit 7 | He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating
listening exercises
What's wrong with vs. What's funny with #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:06 am   What's wrong with vs. What's funny with

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #54 "Chit Chat: At the bus stop", question 3

Mike: What's ......... with the shops here?

(a) wrong
(b) incorrect
(c) false
(d) funny

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #54 "Chit Chat: At the bus stop", answer 3

Mike: What's wrong with the shops here?

Correct answer: (a) wrong

Your answer was: incorrect
Mike: What's funny with the shops here?

She said: "I really want to go shopping."
I don't think the word "wrong" is right here.

hani
hani from vietnam

What's wrong with vs. What's funny with #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:40 am   What's wrong with vs. What's funny with

Hi Hani,

I'm not sure why you don't like the word 'wrong' here. She wants to go shopping in town rather than locally and Mike wants to know why she doesn't shop locally because he believes the local shops are perfectly all right. That's why he asks: What's wrong (what don't you like about) the shops here (locally)?

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What's wrong with vs. What's funny with #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 29, 2012 20:13 pm   What's wrong with vs. What's funny with

Hi Alan! Please, could you tell me the difference between "wrong and incorrect"? They look synonymous with the same meaning. Am I corrct or not? Thanks.
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

What's wrong with vs. What's funny with #4 (permalink) Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:33 am   What's wrong with vs. What's funny with

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

64 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi,

They can generally mean the same. 'Incorrect' is often used to describe an answer, a calculation that isn't right. 'Wrong' could also be used in the same context but often has a moral sense attached to it. Recently there has been a lot of discussion about the payment of taxes in the UK. Everyone has to pay taxes in one way or another. You could for example try to calculate the amount of tax to pay and not do the calculation properly and that would be described as an incorrect calculation. You could also employ an accountant to help you pay less tax and maintain that your income is really in another country. Some people say that this method is wrong because you are avoiding having to pay taxes.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What's wrong with vs. What's funny with #5 (permalink) Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:46 am   What's wrong with vs. What's funny with

Hi Cristovam,

In this sentence, the word 'wrong' needs to be used because you are asking what is the problem with the shops. 'incorrect' doesn't work with that meaning.
Language Coach

unit 7 | He's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eating
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Test incompl/inter-228, Question 3mix-up vs. mix-inin spite of vs. instead ofWhat does 'eclectic' mean?The verb "align"???SOccer~sports~TV~Portugal vs Spain Live Stream Uefa EURO 2012 Semi Final HD FreeESL tutor offerthe meaning of just a heads up?What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT?A few drinks - countable nounsUsing apologize + "about" or "for"Realize vs. reckonYou drive me up the wall?