to globalize; to make worldwide
hit
internationalize
launch
fleet

I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?

Difference between 'if', 'as' and 'because' | Meaning of phrasal verb "to wrap up"
I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:27 am   I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?

ESL/EFL Test #210 "What Comes Next? (4)", question 2

If we leave it any longer, ..........

(a) we'll catch the bus
(b) we'll miss the train
(c) we'll lose the train
(d) we'll loose the bus

ESL/EFL Test #210 "What Comes Next? (4)", answer 2

If we leave it any longer, we'll miss the train.

Correct answer: (b) we'll miss the train

_________________________

I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer? Just out of curiosity.

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer? #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:32 am   I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?

'it' in this sentence is whatever you want it to be. It completes the expression by acting as a 'slot filler' or what some grammarians call a 'dummy' and here suggests words like delay/time/waiting.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer? #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2011 19:56 pm   I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?

Mr Alan,
a 'slot filler' = a slot that is filled with sth? what does 'a dummy' has to do with it?

many thanks

skip it-omit it?try on vs. try outMeaning of "To make headway"How to use prepositions of time?"I'm sure we'll make it" vs "I'm sure we'll take it"What does "well back" mean?Use 'just': for exemple: Just him and me?fair judgement vs. fair trialI just can't get across to her vs. get through to herAt midnight VERSUS on midnightTime prepositions (on/in/at)Why I can't use IN?Meaning of arrogant