Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to globalize; to make worldwide
hit
internationalize
launch
fleet
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between 'if', 'as' and 'because' | Meaning of phrasal verb "to wrap up"
listening exercises
I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:27 am   I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #210 "What Comes Next? (4)", question 2

If we leave it any longer, ..........

(a) we'll catch the bus
(b) we'll miss the train
(c) we'll lose the train
(d) we'll loose the bus

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #210 "What Comes Next? (4)", answer 2

If we leave it any longer, we'll miss the train.

Correct answer: (b) we'll miss the train

Your answer was: correct

Hi,

I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer? Just out of curiosity.

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer? #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:32 am   I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?

Hi,

'it' in this sentence is whatever you want it to be. It completes the expression by acting as a 'slot filler' or what some grammarians call a 'dummy' and here suggests words like delay/time/waiting.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer? #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2011 19:56 pm   I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?

Mr Alan,
a 'slot filler' = a slot that is filled with sth? what does 'a dummy' has to do with it?

many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Difference between 'if', 'as' and 'because' | Meaning of phrasal verb "to wrap up"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
skip it-omit it?try on vs. try outMeaning of "To make headway"How to use prepositions of time?"I'm sure we'll make it" vs "I'm sure we'll take it"What does "well back" mean?Use 'just': for exemple: Just him and me?fair judgement vs. fair trialI just can't get across to her vs. get through to herAt midnight VERSUS on midnightTime prepositions (on/in/at)Why I can't use IN?Meaning of arrogant