apparatus on which fabrics are woven; weaving machine
chain
lead
key
loom

Difference between "forward" and "foster"

Exchange vs. shift vs. change vs. vary | Is "sharing" a verb-ing or a noun?
Difference between "forward" and "foster" #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 10, 2006 15:28 pm   Difference between "forward" and "foster"

ESL/EFL Test #233 "Globalization in Aviation", question 8

Economic liberalization is being ......... transnationally by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development as well as globally by the World Trade Organization which is responsible for the General Agreement on Trade in Services.

(a) forwarded
(b) fostered
(c) founded
(d) funded

ESL/EFL Test #233 "Globalization in Aviation", answer 8

Economic liberalization is being fostered transnationally by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development as well as globally by the World Trade Organization which is responsible for the General Agreement on Trade in Services.

Correct answer: (b) fostered

Economic liberalization is being forwarded transnationally by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development as well as globally by the World Trade Organization which is responsible for the General Agreement on Trade in Services.
_________________________

What's the difference between "forward" and "foster" in this sentence?

Thanks!
FangFang

Difference between "forward" and "foster" #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 10, 2006 23:44 pm   Difference between "forward" and "foster"

.
Forwarded, I think, is too strong a verb for use here-- these organizations do not have that much control over something so general as global 'economic liberalization'.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'make hay'Expression: make no bones about somethingMeaning of 'settle down'Meaning of tealSimple past vs. past perfectExpression: in the hot seatWhy not use consideration rather consciousness?Over 300 million books vs. more 300 million booksReceipt vs. billThe sky is very cloudy today vs. The sky is much cloudy todayWhat does bald mean?What does "accommodate" mean in this sentence?Difference between "depict" and "delineate"