automobile; elevator; vehicle; ride
car
expenditure
back
pipe

Is "sharing" a verb-ing or a noun?

Difference between "forward" and "foster" | Why not use consideration rather consciousness?
Is "sharing" a verb-ing or a noun? #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 10, 2006 15:39 pm   Is "sharing" a verb-ing or a noun?

ESL/EFL Test #233 "Globalization in Aviation", question 2

One factor affecting civil aviation is the emergence of regional and sub-regional blocs, which provide ......... for sharing of some of the safety responsibility in a common localized geographic approach.

(a) media
(b) modicums
(c) vehicles
(d) viaticums

ESL/EFL Test #233 "Globalization in Aviation", answer 2

One factor affecting civil aviation is the emergence of regional and sub-regional blocs, which provide vehicles for sharing of some of the safety responsibility in a common localized geographic approach.

Correct answer: (c) vehicles
_________________________

Don't know whether "sharing" is a verb-ing or a noun! If it is a gerund(vt ) ,personally, I think "of " is unnecessary.

Thanks a lot!
FangFang

Is "sharing" a verb-ing or a noun? #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 10, 2006 23:47 pm   Is "sharing" a verb-ing or a noun?

.
It must be a noun, since it is the object of a preposition and has a prepositional phrase as a modifier. You're right, though: the sentence could also be formed without of and converting it to a nonfinite clause head.
.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: to be out of somethingMeaning of 'make hay'Expression: make no bones about somethingMeaning of 'settle down'Meaning of tealSimple past vs. past perfectExpression: in the hot seatExchange vs. shift vs. change vs. varyOver 300 million books vs. more 300 million booksReceipt vs. billThe sky is very cloudy today vs. The sky is much cloudy todayWhat does bald mean?What does "accommodate" mean in this sentence?