to meet with; to bring upon oneself; to acquire
incur
book
calculate
equip

Expression: in the hot seat

Why not use consideration rather consciousness? | Meaning of 'settle down'
Expression: in the hot seat #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:35 am   Expression: in the hot seat

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Hot expressions", question 8

In order to provide training for the staff in the department everyone had to do a turn in the hot seat.

(a) experience responsibility
(b) experience pleasure
(c) experience hard work
(d) experience boredom

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Hot expressions", answer 8

In order to provide training for the staff in the department everyone had to experience responsibility.

Correct answer: (a) experience responsibility

In order to provide training for the staff in the department everyone had to experience hard work.
_________________________

I thought 'in/on the hot seat' had a sense of 'put in a difficult situation' so I felt 'experience hard work' would be better in the context. Could you explain it for me?

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Expression: in the hot seat #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:48 am   Expression: in the hot seat

Occupying the 'hot seat' may well involve hard work as part of the experience but the main emphasis is on the pressure and responsibility associated with occupying that seat.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Comma questionSpecial cardstock vs. specialty cardstockExpression: to be out of somethingMeaning of 'make hay'Expression: make no bones about somethingMeaning of tealSimple past vs. past perfectIs "sharing" a verb-ing or a noun?Difference between "forward" and "foster"Exchange vs. shift vs. change vs. varyOver 300 million books vs. more 300 million booksReceipt vs. billThe sky is very cloudy today vs. The sky is much cloudy today