product which can rot or spoil (fruit, food etc.)
danger
perishable
bubble
printer

Simple past vs. past perfect

Meaning of teal | Meaning of 'make hay'
Simple past vs. past perfect #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:09 pm   Simple past vs. past perfect

ESL/EFL Test #221 "Homophone test (4)", question 2

Karrie was tired and soon became ......... with the activity her teacher assigned.

(a) border
(b) board
(c) bored
(d) bowed

ESL/EFL Test #221 "Homophone test (4)", answer 2

Karrie was tired and soon became bored with the activity her teacher assigned.

Correct answer: (c) bored
_________________________

Hello, why did you use three times simple past in this sentence? I think it's better so say Karrie was tired and soon became bored with the activity her teacher HAD assigned.

sharon
SharonP

Simple past vs. past perfect #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 11, 2006 13:01 pm   Simple past vs. past perfect

I can't speak for the test writer's thoughts as it's not one of my tests but I'll try to explain. I'm not really happy about your use of the word 'better'. After all there are no grades of quality on the use of tenses. As it stands in this sentence, there are three verbs and three examples of past form and they could all be construed as comtemporaneous. If you change the last one to 'had assigned', you are suggesting that the assigning took place before the other two, which obviously is another interpretation.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Simple past vs. past perfect #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 11, 2006 14:20 pm   Simple past vs. past perfect

.
In addition, there is no necessity to use the past perfect if the order of past events is logically obvious-- which is why the form is so little used.
.
_________________

"bored" question #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 11, 2006 17:30 pm   "bored" question

Hello Sharon,
I agree with both of the comments above. I made the test and when I write on a formal level, I don't normally like to use anything but the 'active' voice. In some cases, I will, however, use a 'passive' voice and this question is an example of that.
The ultimate goal of this question is to get students to recognize the correct word when compared to other words that sound the same or that are similar in sound. I used this tense because the order of events is important and I agree with the opinions listed above.
Take care,
_________________

Simple past vs. past perfect #5 (permalink) Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:30 am   Simple past vs. past perfect

.
I see both 'tired' and 'bored' as adjectives in the sentence. 'Became' is the simple past tense in the active voice. However, whether the voice is active or passive doesn't influence the order in which things happened. The order is logically clear in the sentence without any change in tense.
.
_________________

Simple past vs. past perfect #6 (permalink) Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:05 am   Simple past vs. past perfect

Hi Linda,

You wrote:

In some cases, I will, however, use a 'passive' voice and this question is an example of that.

Did you mean 'passive' because I can't see it?

_________________

Meaning of teal | Meaning of 'make hay'
Questions about infinitivesOn time vs. in timeStare vs. watchComma questionSpecial cardstock vs. specialty cardstockExpression: to be out of somethingExpression: make no bones about somethingMeaning of 'settle down'Expression: in the hot seatIs "sharing" a verb-ing or a noun?Why not use consideration rather consciousness?Difference between "forward" and "foster"Exchange vs. shift vs. change vs. vary