fast; immediate; prompt; smart
immediately
house
alive
swift

Meaning of 'make hay'

Simple past vs. past perfect | Expression: to be out of something
Meaning of 'make hay' #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:33 am   Meaning of 'make hay'

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #21 "Expressions with make", question 9

If I were you, I would stop worrying about it and simply make hay while you can.

(a) have humour
(b) have fun
(c) have comic
(d) have sense

ESL/EFL Test #21 "Expressions with make", answer 9

If I were you, I would stop worrying about it and simply have fun while you can.

Correct answer: (b) have fun
_________________________

I thought 'make hay' had a sense of 'lose no chance'. Since b) would be the only choice here but I'd like to know why it could mean 'have fun' or it DOES have this meaning too?

haiaho
Haihao

Location: Japan

Meaning of 'make hay' #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:25 am   Meaning of 'make hay'

Hi Haihao

I agree with you. As I know the expression, make hay does not really mean have fun.

When you make hay, you take advantage of an opportunity or make use of a situation in order to turn it to your advantage.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'make hay' #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:15 am   Meaning of 'make hay'

Make hay while the sun shines clearly means in general make progress while you have the opportunity. In the test I have slightly twisted the meaning to suggest having fun as at the beginning of the sentence there is a recommendation to stop worrying.

_________________

Is "immaculate" an error?Questions about infinitivesOn time vs. in timeStare vs. watchComma questionSpecial cardstock vs. specialty cardstockExpression: make no bones about somethingMeaning of 'settle down'Meaning of tealExpression: in the hot seatIs "sharing" a verb-ing or a noun?Why not use consideration rather consciousness?Difference between "forward" and "foster"