Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to set going; to launch; to begin; to start
explain
term
revolve
initiate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: 'a peak'

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Angry with him VERSUS annoyed with him | Meaning of 'bunches'
listening exercises
Expression: 'a peak' #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 14, 2006 20:38 pm   Expression: 'a peak'

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #140 "Annual Report", question 5

Costs reached ......... in April.

(a) an acme
(b) an apex
(c) a climax
(d) a peak

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #140 "Annual Report", answer 5

Costs reached a peak in April.

Correct answer: (d) a peak

Your answer was: incorrect
Costs reached a climax in April.

Hi

Could you please shed some light on why others are not the correct option(s) here? Acme, climax etc

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: 'a peak' #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 14, 2006 23:11 pm   Expression: 'a peak'

They do not collocate, Tom-- that is all. High points when e.g. graphing costs are called peaks because they look like mountain tops, I suppose.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: 'a peak' #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 15, 2006 18:02 pm   Expression: 'a peak'

An apex is a mountaintop too, though.

Acme is Wile E. Coyote's company.

A climax is, well, we know what that is. hehe

Expression: 'a peak' #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 15, 2006 23:47 pm   Expression: 'a peak'

SYNONYMS: summit, peak, pinnacle, acme, apex, zeith, climax These nouns all mean the highest point. Summit denotes the highest level attainable: “This [appointment] had been the summit of Mr. Bertram's ambition” (Sir Walter Scott). Peak usually refers to the uppermost point: “It was the peak of summer in the Berkshires” (Saul Bellow). Pinnacle denotes a towering height, as of achievement: The articulation of the theory of relativity catapulted Einstein to the pinnacle of his profession. Acme refers to an ultimate point, as of perfection: The artist's talents were at their acme when this work was created. Apex is the culminating point: The military regime represented the apex of oppression and intimidation. Zenith is the point of highest achievement, most complete development, or greatest power: “Chivalry was then in its zenith” (Henry Hallam). Climax refers to the point of greatest strength, effect, or intensity that marks the endpoint of an ascending process: The government's collapse was the climax of a series of constitutional crises. (Am Heritage Dict)

Quote:
A climax is, well, we know what that is. hehe

I don't believe some of our students do, prez.

Angry with him VERSUS annoyed with him | Meaning of 'bunches'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of "make sure"Meaning of "plain paper"Details vs. The detailsMeaning of 'story line'Heap of stones vs. heap of flowersExpression: get hitchedHe's just not the same person any more...Punctuation questionIs "immaculate" an error?Idiom: take eggs for moneyHow to criminate this case?Idiom: 'a feeling in my gut'What is "stores mark down their prices"?