path along which a fluid flows; direction in which a particle flows; aerodynamic shape
enrichment
streamline
slander
detail

Meaning of "get stuck to the skin"

Crying for the moon? | Now over to our reporter
Meaning of "get stuck to the skin" #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 14:23 pm   Meaning of "get stuck to the skin"

ESL/EFL Test #47 "Speaking: The Broadcast", question 9

It has started to rain and I shall get ......... to the skin if I stay much longer up here.

(a) sunk
(b) suited
(c) stuck
(d) soaked

ESL/EFL Test #47 "Speaking: The Broadcast", answer 9

It has started to rain and I shall get soaked to the skin if I stay much longer up here.

Correct answer: (d) soaked

It has started to rain and I shall get stuck to the skin if I stay much longer up here.
_________________________

is "get stuck to the skin" an idiom?
what does it mean?

Lilo
Lilo

Meaning of "get stuck to the skin" #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 15:27 pm   Meaning of "get stuck to the skin"

Hi Lilo

No, "get stuck to the skin" is not an idiom -- it is simply an incorrect answer for the test sentence. Wet clothing does tend to stick to your body or skin, however.

The correct answer in the test is "get soaked to the skin" which means that your clothing becomes so wet that your skin also gets wet.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "get stuck to the skin" #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 13, 2011 13:22 pm   Meaning of "get stuck to the skin"

Can I say 'will get ' instead of 'shall get' in this sentence without a change in meaning?

many thanks

Test incompl/inter-295, User's Answer 4for startersall the time he's taking it all in.could you explain to me the difference between bring to and bring overArresting the reporter?Meaning of "to cry out for"Meaning of striding?Have vs. have gotA crying shameIt's no good crying over spilled milkDifference between hear and listen toAccounting proceduresDoes 'deterred' mean 'put off' in this sentence?