Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to save; to cut back; to be thrifty; to be frugal
economize
perform
practice
prolong
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Details vs. The details

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "plain paper" | Idiom: 'a feeling in my gut'
listening exercises
Details vs. The details #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 17:52 pm   Details vs. The details

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #226 "Homophone test (9)", question 6

The contractor took the couple to the ......... of their new home. He wanted to discuss details about the size and geographic issues they will have to address before construction can begin.

(a) cite
(b) site
(c) sight
(d) soot

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #226 "Homophone test (9)", answer 6

The contractor took the couple to the site of their new home. He wanted to discuss details about the size and geographic issues they will have to address before construction can begin.

Correct answer: (b) site

Details or the details?
they will have to ... or they would have to...?
can begin... or could begin...?
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Details vs. The details #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:53 am   Details vs. The details

1. the details
2. they would have to
3. could begin

4. Good questions, no answers. it's the 22 here, Tom. :lol:
James
I'm here quite often ;-)

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Details vs. The details #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:39 am   Details vs. The details

Hi Tom

1. details (Using 'the details' might also be possible depending on the broader context)
2. will have to
3. can begin

In other words, the original usages are fine in the sentence and I disagree with "James".

The only question I might have is whether the author actually meant to write 'geographic' (rather than 'geologic').

Why did you think the changes should be made?

Amy

Details vs. The details #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:10 am   Details vs. The details

James wrote:
1. the details
2. they would have to
3. could begin

4. Good questions, no answers..

Hi "James"
I'll leave it to you to explain your "answers" -- or was your "no answers" comment supposed to let us know that you haven't got the foggiest notion?

Quote:
it's the 22 here, Tom.
The first word in a sentence is always capitalized. What is 'the 22'? Did you mean 'the 22nd'? In Germany it's only the 18th and I think it must be the same date where you are: "It's the 18th here, Tom." :roll:

Amy

Details vs. The details #5 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:58 am   Details vs. The details

...Use your imaginations, "Yankee", for the matter.
James
I'm here quite often ;-)

Details vs. The details #6 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:04 am   Details vs. The details

Hi Tom,

I think your original point was about the use or non use of 'the' in the sentence. I believe the omission of 'the' is totally acceptable since the two words 'discuss details' act as a combined unit and suggest together 'examine'.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of "plain paper" | Idiom: 'a feeling in my gut'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Difference between establish and confirmHomework vs. assignmentMeaning of "a chance in a million"Meaning of "make sure"Meaning of 'story line'Heap of stones vs. heap of flowersExpression: get hitchedExpression: 'a peak'Expression: 'up to the mark'How to criminate this case?Angry with him VERSUS annoyed with himIncident vs. accidentRoam vs. mosey