to save; to cut back; to be thrifty; to be frugal
economize
perform
practice
prolong

Details vs. The details

Meaning of "plain paper" | Idiom: 'a feeling in my gut'
Details vs. The details #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 17:52 pm   Details vs. The details

ESL/EFL Test #226 "Homophone test (9)", question 6

The contractor took the couple to the ......... of their new home. He wanted to discuss details about the size and geographic issues they will have to address before construction can begin.

(a) cite
(b) site
(c) sight
(d) soot

ESL/EFL Test #226 "Homophone test (9)", answer 6

The contractor took the couple to the site of their new home. He wanted to discuss details about the size and geographic issues they will have to address before construction can begin.

Correct answer: (b) site
_________________________

Details or the details?
they will have to ... or they would have to...?
can begin... or could begin...?

Details vs. The details #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:53 am   Details vs. The details

.
1. the details
2. they would have to
3. could begin

4. Good questions, no answers. it's the 22 here, Tom. :lol:
.
James

Location: Route 6, USA

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Details vs. The details #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:39 am   Details vs. The details

Hi Tom

1. details (Using 'the details' might also be possible depending on the broader context)
2. will have to
3. can begin

In other words, the original usages are fine in the sentence and I disagree with "James".

The only question I might have is whether the author actually meant to write 'geographic' (rather than 'geologic').

Why did you think the changes should be made?

_________________

Details vs. The details #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:10 am   Details vs. The details

James wrote:
.
1. the details
2. they would have to
3. could begin

4. Good questions, no answers..

Hi "James"
I'll leave it to you to explain your "answers" -- or was your "no answers" comment supposed to let us know that you haven't got the foggiest notion?

it's the 22 here, Tom.
The first word in a sentence is always capitalized. What is 'the 22'? Did you mean 'the 22nd'? In Germany it's only the 18th and I think it must be the same date where you are: "It's the 18th here, Tom." :roll:

_________________

Details vs. The details #5 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:58 am   Details vs. The details

.
...Use your imaginations, "Yankee", for the matter.
.
James

Location: Route 6, USA

Details vs. The details #6 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:04 am   Details vs. The details

Hi Tom,

I think your original point was about the use or non use of 'the' in the sentence. I believe the omission of 'the' is totally acceptable since the two words 'discuss details' act as a combined unit and suggest together 'examine'.

_________________

Difference between establish and confirmHomework vs. assignmentMeaning of "a chance in a million"Meaning of "make sure"Meaning of 'story line'Heap of stones vs. heap of flowersExpression: get hitchedExpression: 'a peak'Expression: 'up to the mark'How to criminate this case?Angry with him VERSUS annoyed with himIncident vs. accidentRoam vs. mosey